As US President Donald Trump announces unprecedented economic sanctions against Iran, the New York Times analysis highlights Iran's past experiences with these pressures.
AI-generated summary
The memorandum of understanding signed between Iran and the USA on June 17 envisaged a 60-day negotiation process. With the expiration of the period, US sanctions came into effect again.
US President Donald Trump, in his post on his social media account, argued that no one other than him gave Iran the opportunity to make a deal.
Noting that Iran failed to take advantage of this opportunity, Trump said, "Therefore, today, I am announcing the most crushing economic operation ever implemented against any country. This will be economic war and isolation on an unprecedented scale." he said.
Trump claimed that Iran's navy had been destroyed, its air force had been destroyed, its military factories were in ruins, its currency was worthless and the country was hanging by a thread.
US President Trump continued:
"I am also declaring today that any country that allows financial institutions, companies, airports, or government agencies to provide any kind of lifeline to Iran will also face enormous economic consequences. Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, currency exchanges, ship registries, shell companies, all of this must be stopped immediately. You know who you are."
Underlining the need for all allies to stand by the United States to isolate and defeat the Iranian threat, Trump stated that Iran is cornered and that these historic measures will paralyze the country's "ability to spread terror around the world."
DOES THE USA'S STRATEGY WORK?
US President Donald Trump's military options regarding Iran are limited, so he chose to increase economic pressure.
The analysis published in the American newspaper New York Times examined how long Iran can withstand the US economic pressure.
It was noted that sanctions may be imposed on countries that purchase oil from Iran, such as China, or additional penalties may be imposed on financial transactions.
THERE ARE US SANCTIONS SINCE 1979
The newspaper commented that it was doubtful how effective these measures would be. It was reminded that Iran has been under US sanctions since 1979. It was underlined that Iran's economy was shaped by the pressure from the USA.
It was emphasized that Iran is trying to overcome US sanctions by selling oil cheaply to China and Russia. It was stated that China uses the oil it purchased from Iran in small refineries that will not be subject to US sanctions.
It was also reminded that Iran has created a shadow fleet by expanding its smuggling networks in order to sell its oil.
It was stated that he developed the industrial sector by exchanging oil for goods and greatly reduced imports and the use of dollars.
It was also noted that since the war and the American blockade, Iran has been transporting some of its oil by land and rail.
"IRAN BENEFITED FROM THE CEASE SEASON PERIOD"
It was stated that Iran carefully evaluated the calm period after the memorandum of understanding was signed with the United States in June.
It was pointed out that Iran had oil ready to sell outside the Bosphorus before the blockade. It was emphasized that immediately after the memorandum of understanding, Iran eased the pressure on storage by exporting 80 million barrels of oil.
It was also underlined that Iran earned more revenue from this year's oil sales than expected, thanks to rising oil prices.
Considering these data, it was emphasized that it was difficult for Iran to surrender due to the collapse in its economy, as the USA predicted.
According to Iran expert Veli Nasr, the options for Iran vary between full surrender and struggle to the end. "They believe the only way to get a better deal is to take the current costs and corner the global economy and Trump," Nasr said. he said.
THE 60-DAY PERIOD HAS EXPIRED
The memorandum of understanding signed between Iran and the USA on June 17 to end the war gave the parties 60 days to reach a final peace agreement.
The agreement envisaged a negotiation process for a broader agreement that would cover Iran's nuclear program and US sanctions.
However, the agreement began to dissolve in a short time due to the dispute over the control of the Strait of Hormuz, which is critical for global oil and liquefied natural gas trade.
After the period expired, the USA announced that they would not extend the duration of the temporary ceasefire agreement.
İsrail'in Gazze Şeridi'ndeki Deyr el-Belah kentine düzenlediği İHA saldırısında 1 kişi yaşamını yitirdi. Gazze Sağlık Bakanlığı, 10 Ekim 2025'ten bu yana süren saldırılarda toplam can kaybının 73 bin 419'a ulaştığını açıkladı.
23 Ağustos 1791'de başlayan Haiti Devrimi, köleliğin kaldırılması mücadelesinde bir dönüm noktasıdır. UNESCO tarafından anma günü ilan edilen bu tarih, günümüzde 50 milyona ulaşan modern kölelik sorununa ve insan ticaretiyle mücadeleye dikkat çekmektedir.

Tunus'un Carcis kıyılarında 15 düzensiz göçmeni taşıyan tekne battı. Bir kişinin kurtarıldığı olayda 14 kişi kayboldu. IOM verilerine göre Orta Akdeniz, 2024 yılında göçmen ölümlerinin iki kattan fazla arttığı dünyanın en ölümcül göç rotası olmaya devam ediyor.

Giresun'un Deregözü Köyü yakınlarında bir hava aracının düştüğü ihbarı üzerine ekipler bölgeye sevk edildi. Piraziz Belediye Başkanı Mahmut Esat Ayyıldız ve Giresun Valiliği, şu ana kadar herhangi bir enkaz veya bulguya rastlanmadığını belirtti.
İsrail güçleri Batı Şeria'nın Nablus ve El Halil kentlerinde baskınlar düzenleyerek iki Filistinliyi gözaltına aldı. Kuzey Ağvar'da Filistinli çobanların meralara erişimi engellenirken, bölgedeki saldırıların Filistinlileri göçe zorlama amacı taşıdığı belirtiliyor.
Husilere bağlı El-Mesire kanalı, Sana, Sada, Hacce, Mahvit, Zamar ve Amran kentlerinde 12 Husi mensubu için cenaze töreni düzenlendiğini duyurdu. Ölenler arasında 4 subay bulunuyor ancak çatışmaların yeri ve zamanına dair detay verilmedi.