Ebola Outbreak in DRC Spreads at Unprecedented Rate with Over 2,500 Deaths
The Democratic Republic of Congo has received 16,250 doses of the Ervebo vaccine to combat the fastest-growing Ebola outbreak in history, caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain, with over 2,500 deaths and 5,375 confirmed cases across six provinces.
AI-generated summary
The DRC faces its deadliest Ebola outbreak, with the Bundibugyo strain having no approved vaccine or treatment.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo has received more than 16,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine against Ebola virus, as the country grapples with the fastest-growing outbreak in history. The Ervebo vaccine is most effective against the virus's Zaire strain, however the WHO said it may provide some protection against the current Bundibugyo strain. The DRC's Ebola outbreak has so far claimed more than 2,500 lives, with the disease spreading at an unprecedented pace. The Democratic Republic of the Congo has received more than 16,250 doses of the Ervebo vaccine as the country grapples with the fastest Ebola outbreak in history, the country's health minister said. The doses arrived at N'djili International Airport in the capital, Kinshasa, late on Friday, the first of 70,000 doses expected from the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners that were announced on Thursday. More doses are expected early next week. The current Ebola outbreak in the DRC is caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, which currently has no approved treatment or vaccine. It can spread easily and go undetected because some of its symptoms are similar to other illnesses, such as malaria. The Ervebo vaccine is licensed to treat the Zaire strain of Ebola, and has been effective in past outbreaks. However, the WHO said it may provide some protection against the Bundibugyo strain of the virus. The latest outbreak, which has caused 2,557 deaths out of the 5,375 confirmed cases across six affected provinces, is spreading at an unprecedented rate, and is on track to surpass the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record, which killed over 11,000 people across West Africa between 2014 and 2016. The response to the outbreak has been hampered by difficulty contact tracing, hidden transmissions, regional instability threatening underpaid responders and difficulty corralling mass-movements. Data from the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention shows that transmission has not yet peaked and could reach three times its current rate. Efforts to contain the outbreak have been made more difficult by armed conflict between the government and rebel groups, which control key cities in the hot spot; attacks on medical personnel and facilities; an itinerant labour population and people displaced by the armed conflict; and a lack of critical infrastructure. AP
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased vaccine shipments and international aid in the coming weeks.
Likely · Within weeks
ACT health authorities have issued an urgent warning after five suspected drug overdose deaths occurred in Canberra within a fortnight. Officials suspect the presence of lethal synthetic opioids, including nitazenes, in the local illicit drug market.
Research by Dr. Lotti Tajouri reveals mobile phones harbor thousands of microorganisms, including antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Experts advise regular cleaning with 70% isopropyl alcohol and caution against phone use in public restrooms to mitigate infection risks.
A northern Tasmanian childcare centre confirms a child treated for tuberculosis attended in mid-July. Close contacts are offered precautionary testing in coordination with health authorities.
The Busselton Health Study in Western Australia is celebrating its 60th anniversary. Started by Dr Kevin Cullen in 1966, it has tracked over 20,000 participants and shaped global clinical guidelines.

The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme advisory committee has recommended government funding for triptorelin to treat breast cancer, endometriosis, and gender dysphoria, potentially bypassing state-level bans on gender-affirming care in Queensland and the NT.
Dr Liu-Ming Schmidt has been suspended for six months after the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal found her guilty of professional misconduct. Investigations revealed thousands of flawed colonoscopies and a fatal surgical error, leading to calls for stricter accountability.