Foluso Omole was arrested at Adelaide Airport as he allegedly prepared to leave the country following a $5 million NDIS fraud investigation.
Foluso Omole, a dual Australian-Nigerian citizen, was refused bail in the Adelaide Magistrates Court after being charged over an alleged $5 million NDIS fraud plot.
AI-generated summary
Foluso Omole was arrested at Adelaide Airport by Australian Federal Police over an alleged $5 million NDIS fraud scheme.
A dual citizen charged over his alleged involvement in a $5 million National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) fraud plot had "cut ties" in Adelaide and was preparing to fly to Nigeria before he was arrested, a court has heard.
Foluso Omole appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today where he was refused bail, after Australian Federal Police officers arrested him at Adelaide Airport on Friday.
The court heard Mr Omole, 38, a dual Australian and Nigerian citizen, had "purchased a one-way ticket to Nigeria" before he was arrested as he allegedly prepared to leave the country.
A prosecutor told the court it appeared he had "sent, over the course of his offending, significant funds back to Nigeria" where his wife resides.
The court heard Mr Omole was working as a NDIS coordinator and operated two businesses which employed a number of staff at the time of the alleged offending.
The prosecutor said it was alleged Mr Omole had received "information improperly" from a woman who was employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency over the course of six years, and "used that information to obtain benefit fraudulently".
The court heard she has also been charged with offending and was due to appear in court on Thursday.
Mr Omole's defence lawyer, Mark Twiggs, told the court his client had informed him that he had been planning to travel on a "return ticket to London" which was "purchased prior to any raid" on the woman's home.
"The charges are denied. He has no record at all," Mr Twiggs said.
"My client has good reason why he should be given bail."
Mr Omole is yet to enter pleas to one count of person deal with proceeds of indictable crime over $1 million and one count of dealing with money/property valued greater than $1 million that is proceeds of crime.
Magistrate Patrick Hill refused bail on the basis that Mr Omole posed a flight risk.
"Whether it was a one-way ticket to Nigeria or a return ticket to London do make a difference as to the court's assessment of whether or not Mr Omole is a flight risk," Mr Hill said.
"For the other reasons put forward by the prosecution, in any event, I remain concerned that he is a risk of flight and the application for bail is refused."
Mr Omole will return to court next month.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Mr Omole will return to court next month.
Very likely · Within weeks
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.