Elliott alleges property developer Jean Nassif influenced his removal as police minister and orchestrated a smear campaign.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott announced plans for legal action against individuals he claims slandered him, following ICAC testimony regarding alleged political interference by property developer Jean Nassif.
AI-generated summary
The NSW ICAC is investigating whether donations linked to developer Jean Nassif were exchanged for political favors. The inquiry has previously examined allegations involving Liberal MPs and their interactions with persons of interest.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott has said he will take legal action against those he believes have said "slanderous things" about him, following a corruption watchdog hearing.
The NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) is examining whether donations linked to fugitive property developer Jean Nassif were exchanged for political favours, including attempts to damage Mr Elliott's career.
On Friday, the former police minister gave evidence to ICAC.
After taking the stand, Mr Elliott told reporters outside that he would be talking to his lawyer about taking legal action against those he believed "need to be pursued", but stopped short of naming anyone specifically.
He said the "battle" of fighting corruption in the parliament was not over, and claimed there were still people in the Liberal shadow ministry "who gave evidence to criminals".
The ICAC previously heard allegations that senior Liberal MPs Chris Rath and Damien Tudehope remained in contact with people trying to avoid giving evidence to a 2023 parliamentary inquiry.
Mr Rath allegedly helped lobbyist Jeremy Greenwood stay informed about efforts to serve him with a summons, while Mr Tudehope was accused of passing a confidential committee report to Mr Greenwood.
Mr Tudehope has not been accused of wrongdoing, while Mr Greenwood and other persons of interest in the inquiry have not been charged with any crimes.
Mr Elliott told the inquiry he now believed Mr Nassif influenced the decision to remove him as police minister in a 2021 cabinet reshuffle.
Mr Elliott linked the move to Mr Nassif's 2019 arrest for cocaine possession at The Star casino, saying the developer may have blamed him for police being at the casino.
"I think Nassif had probably made it clear to the hard-right that because he'd got arrested for cocaine, that I wasn't to be trusted with the police force," Mr Elliott said.
The inquiry previously heard NSW Liberal Party operatives allegedly compiled a "David Elliott shit sheet" — a dossier of political and personal allegations aimed at damaging his career.
Mr Elliott told ICAC he believed Mr Nassif was behind a campaign of negative media stories against him, after he responded to community concerns about one of his developments.
Mr Elliott said Mr Nassif later confronted him twice and left a message on his phone threatening to "get" him.
He also told the inquiry private investigators followed him and his wife, describing surveillance images of his wife as "very creepy".
Mr Elliott said Mr Nassif allegedly pressured his former chief of staff to provide information about him and warned that his political career could be over.
Mr Elliott ultimately decided not to seek Liberal preselection for Castle Hill because he said branch-stacking had made it clear the seat would go to a candidate from the party's "religious right".
Asked about his characterisation of the factions within the NSW Liberal Party, Mr Elliott said: "Depending on who you're talking to, some call it the hard right, some call it the right, some call it the religious right, some call it the cult."
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
David Elliott to initiate legal proceedings against unnamed individuals.
Likely · Within weeks
Alberta's separatist movement, fueled by economic grievances and a sense of underrepresentation, is set to face a referendum on October 19, with up to 30% of the population reportedly supporting independence, amidst warnings of Brexit-like turmoil and accusations of US influence.

Liberal frontbencher Andrew Hastie maintained a notable silence during federal parliament question time this week while facing political threats from Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Western Australia and pushing for a new AI committee.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will implement a gun buyback scheme, similar to NSW's, as part of a national effort to strengthen gun laws post-Bondi Beach terrorist attack. The Commonwealth will fund 75% of buyback and 100% of destruction costs.

The Plymouth Brethren Christian Church has denied allegations that it paid far-right influencers to target Anthony Albanese. The church also rejected claims it coordinated hundreds of volunteers to support Liberal candidates during the 2025 election campaign.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that a former ASIO agent, 'Marcus,' can testify at the Bondi royal commission remotely, as his evidence is now declassified. The agent, currently living abroad, seeks Australian resettlement due to safety concerns.
Anti-corruption barrister Geoffrey Watson has defended the terms of reference for Victoria's royal commission into major projects. While the opposition claims the inquiry is limited, Premier Ben Carroll and Watson insist the scope is broad and independent.