AI-generated summary
Valentine Ansett's distinguished career with the Tasmania Fire Service contrasted with the serious nature of the offenses committed during a professional massage service.
A former senior firefighter has avoided imprisonment for indecently assaulting a woman he was providing a professional massage to. Valentine Ansett, 55, was found guilty in a Hobart Magistrates Court hearing earlier this year of indecent assault and assault with indecent intent, at his massage business in Hobart in 2024. Magistrate Robert Webster said the assault with indecent intent, where Ansett placed his hand on the woman's genital region over a sarong, was during the "chakra balancing" part of the massage.
"[Ansett] admitted in a police interview that this technique was not something he was taught to do, not something he normally did," Magistrate Webster said. The indecent assault involved him touching her breasts.
Victim's life 'profoundly impacted', court hears
Magistrate Webster said that Ansett had had a "long and distinguished" role in the Tasmania Fire Service (TFS), serving as a professional firefighter for more than 30 years, and had been an acting district officer for the TFS. Ansett was stood down from that role in 2024, and his massage business has closed.
"[His] future employment situation is uncertain," he said. He said although Ansett was cooperative with police and sorry about the impact the offending has had on the woman, "you still do not consider you have done anything wrong."
"She was in a very vulnerable position … in the context of a therapeutic relationship, she ultimately placed trust in you," Magistrate Webster said. "You breached that trust while she was vulnerable for your own sexual gratification."
A victim impact statement was read aloud to the court last week, during sentencing submissions.
"My life has been profoundly impacted by the assault," the prosecutor told the court on behalf of the victim. She said she has been depressed and nearly took her life on two occasions.
Magistrate Webster recorded a conviction and sentenced him to three months' imprisonment, wholly suspended for 18 months, meaning he will only go to jail if he commits another offence in that time. Ansett's lawyer indicated that he had already filed an appeal of the conviction to the Criminal Court of Appeal, which will be mentioned in the Supreme Court of Tasmania in September.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The appeal outcome will significantly impact Ansett's future professional and personal life.
Likely · Within months
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.