Covert oil shipments continue amidst US-Iran conflict and vessel attacks
AI-generated summary
The US-Iran conflict has disrupted the Strait of Hormuz, a critical route for global seaborne oil trade. This has led to increased security risks for tankers and volatility in global oil prices.
Gulf states are covertly shipping oil through the Strait of Hormuz on tankers with their transponders switched off despite severe disruptions to normal traffic and intermittent attacks, Bloomberg reported on Sunday, citing people familiar with the shipments.
The de facto closure to normal traffic through the strait due to the US-Iran conflict has affected a strategic waterway that has historically been the route for around a quarter of the world’s seaborne oil trade. The conflict initially sent global oil prices soaring to nearly $120 a barrel. Some energy experts have warned that oil prices could reach $150 over the coming months.
The volumes shipped through the heavily disrupted passage exceed market estimates of 4 million barrels per day, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg on condition of anonymity, without specifying by how much. The UAE, Iraq, Qatar, and Kuwait have reportedly been moving barrels through Hormuz using “dark” tanker transits, with crude later transferred to other vessels in the Gulf of Oman.
The combination of covert shipments, pipeline workarounds, stockpile releases, and reductions in demand across the world has helped keep oil prices in the $80-$90-a-barrel range, according to traders and analysts cited by Bloomberg.
The risks remain significant, with ADNOC telling Bloomberg that 23 of its vessels have come under attack since the US-Iran conflict began, leaving one crew member dead and 20 others injured. Last week, ADNOC reported that two of its vessels came under attack in Hormuz, with all crew members reported safe. UAE authorities blamed Iran for the attacks, calling on Tehran to reopen the strait.
Saudi Arabia also appears to be preparing to use the route, with 16 supertankers positioned off Oman’s coast and three more expected in the coming days, the news agency noted, adding that the vessels can carry up to 38 million barrels of oil.
Insurers say they are seeing a steady stream of requests for coverage from Gulf producers despite the dangers. “It’s a dark trade,” Pankaj Khanna, CEO of Heidmar Maritime Holdings, told Bloomberg, describing it as the only option even as many shipowners remain unwilling to take the risk.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Saudi Arabia will begin using the Strait of Hormuz route with its 16 supertankers.
Likely · Within days

Запорожская АЭС перешла на режим экономии дизельного топлива из-за отключения внешней линии электроснабжения и препятствий в доставке горючего со стороны ВСУ. Станция работает на резервных дизель-генераторах.

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced plans to commission 30 gigawatts of new nuclear capacity, including small modular reactors, to replace aging units and meet rising electricity demand driven by AI development and data center expansion.

Запорожская АЭС перешла на резервное питание от дизель-генераторов после отключения высоковольтной линии 330 кВ «Ферросплавная-1». Специалисты проводят работы по поиску места повреждения и восстановлению внешнего электроснабжения станции.
Iranian military advisor Mohammad Reza Naqdi asserts the Strait of Hormuz remains essential for global energy trade, arguing that alternative infrastructure projects are too costly and time-consuming to replace the strategic waterway's role in oil and gas transport.

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin announced the start of a project to build a small-scale nuclear power plant in Myanmar during a meeting with Myanmar's leader Min Aung Hlaing in Moscow.

Михаил Мишустин объявил о начале реализации проекта по строительству атомной станции малой мощности в Мьянме на встрече с президентом страны Мин Аун Хлайном.