
Investigations will cover the deaths of five-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 Palestinian paramedics.
AI-generated summary
The Israeli military has been reviewing 150 incidents involving troop conduct during the war in Gaza. Hind Rajab and 15 paramedics were killed in separate incidents in 2024 and 2025 respectively.
The Israeli military said on Wednesday it would open criminal investigations into two high-profile incidents involving the killing of Palestinians during the war in Gaza, including five-year-old Hind Rajab and members of her family, as well as 15 Palestinian paramedics.
The announcement came after the military completed reviews of 150 incidents involving the conduct of Israeli troops in Gaza, with decisions reached in five cases.
The statement did not address several other high-profile killings that the military had previously pledged to investigate, including Israeli strikes on a hospital in southern Gaza in August 2025 that killed five journalists.
The military said it would not pursue criminal investigations into three other incidents involving aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.
How did the killings unfold?
Both Rajab’s killing in February 2024 and the killing of 15 Palestinian medics in May 2025 drew international attention.
Rajab was travelling with six relatives as they tried to flee Gaza City when Israeli troops opened fire on their vehicle. Her 15-year-old cousin, Layan Hamada, called the Palestinian Red Crescent, saying a tank was approaching and that her family had been killed.
Seconds later, further gunfire could be heard before Layan’s screams stopped, according to a recording released by the Red Crescent.
Hind initially survived the attack and remained in contact with the Red Crescent as it sought permission from the Israeli military to reach her. 12 days later, she, her relatives and two medics sent to rescue her were found dead.
The 15 paramedics were killed in Rafah after Israeli troops opened fire on ambulances and other emergency vehicles responding to casualties and searching for a missing ambulance, according to phone footage and the sole survivor.
Their bodies and damaged vehicles were subsequently buried in a mass grave. UN and rescue workers recovered the remains about a week later.
The Israeli military initially said the vehicles were “advancing suspiciously” without headlights or emergency signals. It later revised its account after footage showed the emergency vehicles moving with flashing lights and visible Red Crescent and Civil Defence markings.
“We are not obligated to prove the truth because it is already proven to the whole world,” Eid Azizi, a Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson, told news agency AP. “We shouldn’t have reached this point if they respected and followed the international humanitarian law.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The military will conduct criminal investigations into the two specified incidents.
Very likely · Within months

Nearly two years after the fall of Bashar al-Assad, millions of Syrians who returned home face severe economic challenges, including high costs of living, destroyed infrastructure, and bureaucratic obstacles, leading some to regret their return.

The Muslim World League launched an initiative in Abuja, Nigeria, uniting Muslim and Christian leaders to counter extremist discourse in West Africa through interfaith cooperation agreements and the Abuja Declaration.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian called for an end to the ongoing war with the United States, asserting that Tehran is currently in a position of strength and dignity.

The Mexican Navy rescued two fishermen who drifted in the Pacific Ocean on a cooler box for five days after losing contact while fishing off the coast of Chiapas.

Mauritanian coastguards rescued 315 migrants, including 40 children, from an overloaded, drifting wooden boat off the coast of Nouadhibou. The passengers were primarily from Senegal and The Gambia, attempting the Atlantic route toward the Canary Islands.

Twenty migrants deported from the United States arrived in Liberia on Thursday. The country has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals from the US over the next year under a new humanitarian partnership.