
National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir suggested killing 30 to 40 people nightly in Gaza and advocated for mass emigration and Israeli resettlement.
Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir publicly advocated for killing "30 to 40" people in Gaza nightly and called for mass Palestinian emigration and Israeli resettlement.
AI-generated summary
Itamar Ben-Gvir is Israel's Minister of National Security and leads a far-right faction within Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition.
An extremist Israeli lawmaker in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition publicly advocated for killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night, comments that surfaced on Sunday, and were quickly shared by media outlets around the world.
Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage, Rom Braslavski, on his podcast. The pair were discussing Israel's recovery from Hamas’ 7 October attack, when Ben-Gvir criticised Israel's recent drawdown of strikes in Gaza.
“It’s no secret, I disagree with the prime minister," he said. “I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night,” said the far-right Israeli lawmaker.
“Not just those who pose an immediate threat, there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn’t live. They’re not even people,” added Ben-Gvir.
In the past, similar statements by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials were widely condemned.
Many have been presented to the UN’s world court as evidence of genocidal intent. Israel denies it has committed genocide in Gaza in its military offensive which has killed more than 100,000 Palestinians in Gaza across two years, according to medical sources.
Local Israeli media has made scarce mention of the statement, highlighting how once-fringe ideologies like Ben-Gvir’s are surging in the leadup to Israeli election, scheduled for 27 October.
Figures like Ben-Gvir have become more popular among Israelis since the Hamas offensive due to his hardline rhetoric advocating for more suppression of the group and greater control over Gaza.
The extremist minister, who has been banned in more than 10 countries, including France, Belgium, Spain, the UK, Canada and Australia, does not have power over the country’s military and cannot order strikes on Gaza.
But, after operating for decades within Israel's far-right fringe, he is now one of the most influential people in the country.
He has substantial control over key parts of Israel’s security apparatus, running the country’s prisons — where thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the occupied West Bank are incarcerated — as well as the national police force.
He has previously boasted of lessening food rations for Palestinian prisoners. Israel’s top court ruled in 2025 that the prison service under Ben-Gvir was depriving Palestinians of a minimum subsistence diet.
Until recently, Israel was striking Gaza nearly every day, attacks that have killed over 1,250 people since an October truce deal came into effect, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.
Israel's military, which says the strikes have targeted Hamas militants, appeared to ease off on the attacks in a quiet concession to US President Donald Trump after Netanyahu rejected the president’s latest attempt to move the truce forward.
Israeli media last week reported that the authority for carrying out strikes has now been limited to the army’s chief of staff, raising the ire of right-wing lawmakers such as Ben-Gvir.
In the same taped appearance, the lawmaker advocated for mass emigration of Palestinians from Gaza — a proposal that international lawyers say could amount to ethnic cleansing — and resettlement of Gaza by Israel.
Twenty years ago, Israel withdrew from the Gaza Strip, dismantling a block of 21 Jewish settlements known as “Gush Katif” and pulling out its forces.
“I see all of Gaza as ours,” said Ben-Gvir in the interview.
“Settlements not just in Gush Katif but throughout Gaza, encouraging as much emigration as possible, sending them to their countries, and for the terrorists, no emigration, nothing, just to kill them one by one,” he added.

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

The UK, Australia, Canada, and Poland condemned Israel's decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 airstrike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza.

Conservative German mayor Bernd Prange donated €10,000 to the far-right AfD and urged voters to back them in an upcoming Saxony-Anhalt election, creating a political dilemma for CDU leaders defending their firewall against the far right.

The UN Security Council is set to conduct a second straw poll to evaluate candidates for the next Secretary-General. With António Guterres' term ending December 31, members are assessing support for contenders from Latin America and Africa amidst potential veto power influence.

Japan has formally protested Russia's missile tests conducted near the disputed Northern Territories. The drills, involving the Pacific Fleet, follow President Vladimir Putin's recent visit to the islands, further straining bilateral relations amid the Ukraine war.