
Available spaces reach lowest level since March as government prepares for early prisoner releases.
Male prisons in England and Wales have fewer than 1,800 available spaces remaining, the lowest level since March, driven by high numbers of recalled offenders ahead of planned early releases.
AI-generated summary
Male prisons in England and Wales face severe overcrowding with fewer than 1,800 spaces available, ahead of a planned early release of about 5,000 inmates.
Male prisons have fewer than 1,800 spaces available in England and Wales, the lowest level since March.
More than 83,000 spaces are occupied by male inmates, despite the government introducing a presumption against jailing anyone for under one year to free up more space.
Prison staff told the BBC the high level of offenders being recalled to prison for breaching licence conditions given on their release or re-offending has cancelled out much of the extra room. Since June, there has been a downward trend in the number of vacant spaces.
The spike comes before the government is set to release about 5,000 inmates early from October to alleviate overcrowding.
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said it was building more prisons while exploring early release options and expanding electronic tagging.
The figures come after Prime Minister Andy Burnham made more prisoners exempt from the upcoming early release scheme following backlash from victims.
Burnham came under further pressure after the killers of PC Andrew Harper would still be eligible for early release.
PC Harper, 28, was killed in 2019 when he was dragged by a car down a country road as three teenagers fled the scene of a quad bike theft in Berkshire.
Last week, Burnham said he was "confident" PC Harper's killers could be excluded from the government's early release scheme
On August 3, Burnham said in a written article, external he had "wanted to go even further" but had "pushed to the very limits of what is possible to do".
A spokesperson for the MoJ said "public safety will always be our priority".
"We are fast-tracking a plan to keep more of the most serious offenders behind bars, on top of murderers, anyone on life sentences and those in prison for rape, serious child sexual abuse and grooming offences who are already blocked from any changes," they said.
"We share the public's anger that these options are even being considered, after we inherited a prison system on the brink of collapse."
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Government to release about 5,000 inmates early from October
Very likely · Within weeks

Following a coroner's ruling that the Treasury 'materially contributed' to the suicide of 26-year-old Chloe Moffat, her parents are calling for an apology and systemic changes to prevent future workplace tragedies.

Meta faces a blockbuster trial in Oakland, California, where 29 US states accuse the tech giant of designing addictive products that harm children and violating child privacy laws. Potential damages reach up to $200bn.

Former BBC journalist and Liberal Democrat candidate David Campanale is seeking nearly £790,000 in damages at the Central London county court after the party admitted to religious discrimination against him.

Prince Harry, Sir Elton John, and five other public figures face paying up to £34.5m in legal costs to Daily Mail publisher Associated Newspapers after losing their privacy case, following an exceptional High Court ruling.

A UK court ruling could block the Home Office from deporting thousands of young male Albanian trafficking victims, finding they face a significant risk of retrafficking upon return.

UK media regulator Ofcom has launched an investigation into Sky News after Reform UK leader Nigel Farage complained that reporters harassed his adult daughter at her home.