
Detentions follow social media calls for mass crossings and come two weeks after a massive surge of migrants into the Spanish enclave.
Moroccan police detained dozens of people attempting to cross into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta following social media calls for mass crossings, amid heightened security and the expulsion of Spanish journalists from Fnideq.
AI-generated summary
Two weeks prior, around 72,000 migrants surged into the Spanish North African exclave of Ceuta, leading to heightened security measures by Madrid.
Moroccan police on Saturday detained dozens of people who attempted to cross the border into the Spanish North African exclave of Ceuta.
It comes two weeks after around 72,000 migrants surged into Ceuta, which drove a wedge between Spain and other EU countries.
"This is a routine operation aimed at preventing attempted irregular migration" toward Ceuta, an official with knowledge of the intervention, who asked to remain anonymous, told AFP.
More than 100 migrants, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, were stopped in or around Fnideq, the Moroccan city across the border from Ceuta, a security source told Reuters.
Meanwhile, Morocco's Le360 media outlet reported that 294 people had been detained.
Earlier this week, Rabat said it was monitoring "the circulation of social media posts and messages of unknown origin" calling for a mass crossing on August 15, and warned that both organizers and participants would face prosecution.
Eyewitnesses said there was a heavy Moroccan security presence around Ceuta and Melilla, another Spanish exclave to the east.
Numerous checkpoints were set up, with patrol boats monitoring the coast and water cannons stationed at the border, according to Spain's public broadcaster RTVE.
Spain's EFE news agency and RTVE said a representative from Morocco's Interior Ministry had ordered their journalists to leave Fnideq โ known in Spanish as Castillejos โ immediately without any explanation. The Moroccan official stated that he was "following instructions."
EFE president Miguel Angel Oliver urged Moroccan authorities to respect the free, "responsible and rigorous practice of journalism."
RTVE president Jose Pablo Lopez also demanded "full guarantees and the utmost respect" from Moroccan authorities so that his journalists could "freely practice their profession anywhere in the border region."
"The expulsion of our professionals from Castillejos represents a grave obstacle to press freedom and the right to information," Lopez said in a statement.
Two weeks ago, around 72,000 people crossed into Ceuta over a few days, though most have since been returned to Morocco.
Some 100 people had died during the border surge.
Madrid has since beefed up security in the exclave, installing a maritime barrier and deploying more than 500 additional police from mainland Spain.
The Interior Ministry said they would remain in place as long as needed.
"We'll continue to deploy whatever personnel are necessary to restore normality as soon as possible and prevent events like those of July 30 from happening again," Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said on Thursday.
AI outlook โ possibilities, not facts
Spanish police will maintain increased security personnel in Ceuta.
Very likely ยท Within weeks

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.