
Trump suggests resurrecting the project following discussions on trade and energy with Canadian leadership
AI-generated summary
The Keystone XL pipeline project was proposed in 2008 to transport oil from Canada to the U.S. but faced significant opposition and was eventually halted by the Biden administration.
President Trump has hinted at bringing the Keystone XL oil pipeline “back from the grave” in a pair of Truth Social posts.
One post included an A.I.-generated image showing Trump wrenching a Keystone XL pipe straight out of a grave, as he stands beside a tombstone reading: “Buried by Biden.”
In the background of the image, an American flag can be seen flying while the pipe itself is stamped with a sign reading: “Completely free. Energy. Jobs. America First.”
The Keystone XL extension project was proposed back in 2008 and was designed to bring oil all the way down from Canada’s Alberta tar sands to refineries in the United States. However, the project was paused under former President Joe Biden, who revoked a permit needed for the pipeline in the U.S.
Former President Barack Obama also opposed the project, saying in 2015 that he agreed with the State Department’s determination that the pipeline “would not serve the national interest of the United States.”
According to the Government of Alberta, the pipeline would have spanned 1,947 kilometers from Alberta to Nebraska and would have carried 830,000 barrels of crude oil per day.
Keystone XL has become a point of contention ever since it was paused, with environmental groups raising concerns about potential oil spills and Native American tribes arguing that it could threaten indigenous land and water safety.
Writing on Truth Social, though, Trump lauded the project on Tuesday night.
“The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave!” he teased.
Trump made the claim in a post confirming that he was pausing a 50 percent tariff on an array of Canadian imports for three days, ahead of the finalization of a deal between the two countries.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement on X that “substantial progress” had been made on a deal between the two countries and confirmed that the potential U.S. tariffs were being paused.
However, the Canadian leader did not mention the Keystone XL project in his statement.
Carney previously discussed the revival of the Keystone XL pipeline with Trump in October, sources told the BBC. The prime minister was the one to mention the pipeline, as part of a wider conversation surrounding tariffs and steel.
In a statement obtained by the broadcaster, the prime minister said that the two men discussed “opportunities for material progress in trade in steel, aluminium and energy.”
Trump has called for the revival of the project in February 2025, when he said that the company behind the pipeline should “get it built.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Formal review of Keystone XL permit requirements
Possible · Within months

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.