
High Court to determine interim payment to Associated Newspapers following failed phone hacking claims
Prince Harry, Elton John, and five others will learn the scale of their interim legal cost payments to Associated Newspapers on Friday, following their failed High Court privacy lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail.
AI-generated summary
The claimants lost a privacy case against Associated Newspapers after the court found insufficient evidence of illegal phone hacking. The trial lasted 11 weeks and concluded on July 7.
Prince Harry and six others, including Elton John, are set to find out Friday how many millions of pounds they will have to pay initially to the publisher of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case.
Following their defeat in a High Court case in London last month alleging malpractice, such as the illegal hacking of phones, the high-profile figures will learn the scale of their exposure to the roughly 34 million pounds ($46 million) in legal costs accumulated by Associated Newspapers Ltd. The losing claimants are believed to be insured for around half that total.
In addition to an initial payment, which could be up to 10 million pounds, they will find out how they will pay the outstanding amount.
The publisher had strongly denied the claims made during the 11-week trial in London, which ended on July 7 when Justice Matthew Nicklin said there had been a shortage of evidence to support the claims and found a possibility that the reporting came from legitimate sources.
Nicklin is due to give his decision on the financial implications of that decision in a written statement at 2 p.m.
Associated Newspapers has asked for more than 9.9 million pounds as an interim payment, while lawyers for the claimants say the interim payment should be just over 7.9 million pounds.
The other high-profile figures behind the case were Doreen Lawrence, the anti-racism activist whose son Stephen was stabbed to death in 1993 as he waited for a bus; Elton John's film producer husband David Furnish; actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley; and politician Simon Hughes.
The judgment comes two days after it was made public that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the U.K. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are no longer working royals, decamped to California more than six years ago but will relocate back later this month to live in a nonroyal residence outside London.
Harry's defeat against Associated Newspapers brought an end to a trio of lawsuits accusing tabloid publishers of using unlawful tactics, such as phone hacking or hiring private detectives to dig up dirt on his life.
Harry won a judgment in 2023 that condemned the publishers of the Daily Mirror for “widespread and habitual” phone hacking. Last year, Rupert Murdoch’s flagship U.K. tabloid, The Sun, made an unprecedented apology for intruding on his life for years and agreed to pay substantial damages to settle his privacy invasion lawsuit.
Harry has said his litigation — in which he broke with royal family tradition to seek relief in the courts — was a primary source of his falling out with his father, King Charles III, and brother Prince William.
His grudge with the tabloids runs deep and his legal actions are part of his larger quest to reform the news media that he says damaged his relationships and made him “paranoid beyond belief.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Justice Nicklin will issue a written decision on interim payments at 2 p.m.
Very likely · Within hours

An Alabama jury awarded $9.25 million to former University of Alabama basketball player Kai Spears, finding the New York Times defamed him by falsely reporting his presence at a 2023 fatal shooting scene.

Meta is defending itself in a federal civil trial in Oakland, California, where 29 state attorneys general allege the company violated COPPA by collecting data on children under 13 and misled the public about platform safety features.

TikTok and parent company ByteDance have agreed to a $400 million settlement with the US Justice Department over allegations of violating children's online privacy laws, marking one of the largest recoveries under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

A US judge has struck down a Trump administration policy suspending immigrant visas for 75 countries, ruling it exceeded statutory authority and conflicted with federal immigration law.

NSW is considering an appeal after a judge refused a terror order for Mohommed Farhat, who was convicted of vandalism, while ruling that disparaging Israel is political comment rather than antisemitism.

Macquarie University academic Gregory Baker won a landmark Fair Work Commission case to convert his casual role to permanent part-time by using AI agents to represent himself, marking a significant development in legal access for self-represented litigants.