
South Korea's presidential office responds to Trump's order to scale back joint military exercises
South Korea's presidential office expressed hope that ties between the U.S. and North Korean leaders will spark bilateral peace talks, following Trump's order to reduce joint military drills.
AI-generated summary
Trump previously held three in-person meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during his first term.
SEOUL, Aug. 17 (Yonhap) -- The presidential office said Monday it expects the friendship between the leaders of North Korea and the United States to help lead to bilateral talks on peace on the Korean Peninsula, following President Donald Trump's reported order to scale back joint military exercises with Seoul.
The remarks came in response to Trump's social media post Sunday (U.S. time) saying he had instructed the Pentagon to "substantially" reduce joint South Korea-U.S. military exercises.
Trump said the exercises are not only "costly" but also send a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to the North, in what appears to be a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea.
The post came as the summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise between Seoul and Washington was set to begin Monday in South Korea. North Korea has long condemned the annual drills as a rehearsal for an invasion.
"The government takes note of President Trump's social media message," the presidential office in Seoul said.
"We expect friendly relations between the North Korean and U.S. leaders to lead to meaningful North Korea-U.S. talks and the start of discussions aimed at advancing peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula," Cheong Wa Dae said, pledging to play a role as a "pacemaker" to that end.
The White House has repeatedly affirmed that Trump remains open to dialogue with Pyongyang "without any preconditions."
Trump had three in-person meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during his first term: in Singapore in June 2018, in Hanoi in February 2019 and at the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom in June 2019.
Both Seoul and Washington have closely coordinated on maintaining a firm combined defense posture, and conducting joint drills and exercises, and will continue such coordination on related matters, the presidential office noted.
The office also said that Seoul has actively participated in international discussions on a ceasefire in Iran and efforts to restore freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, and is closely consulting with the U.S. on ways to make practical and military contributions.
In Sunday's post, Trump also said that he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would like to join the effort to denuclearize Iran, and was told, "No thanks."

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung condoles the death of Ven. Myeongjin, 76, former chief monk of Bongeun Temple, who died in a maritime accident while free diving off Jeju Island.

노웅래 전 의원의 항소심 무죄 판결을 두고 더불어민주당과 국민의힘, 한동훈 의원이 공방을 벌였다. 민주당은 검찰의 조작 수사를 주장하며 한 의원의 사과를 요구했고, 한 의원과 국민의힘은 증거능력 배제일 뿐이라며 맞섰다.

한덕수 국무총리가 서울 지역 21개 구청장과 간담회를 열고 주택 공급 확대와 속도 제고 방안을 논의했다. 정부는 착공 물량 감소에 따른 공급 부족 문제를 해결하기 위해 지자체와 협력하여 가능한 모든 수단을 동원할 계획이다.

Major South Korean newspapers report on significant government financial initiatives, including the creation of large-scale future funds, tax revenue management, and corporate shareholder return strategies amid a semiconductor industry boom.

Expert Ankit Panda warns that President Trump's decision to reduce U.S.-South Korea military drills has created a diplomatic roadblock. He urges both nations to address the fallout to ensure a coordinated strategy for potential engagement with North Korea.

이재명 대통령이 정기국회를 앞두고 오는 28일 더불어민주당 국회의원 전원을 청와대 영빈관으로 초청해 오찬을 갖는다. 민주당 의원들은 인천에서 열리는 당 워크숍을 마친 뒤 참석할 예정이다.