Morocco, Qatar, Egypt, Mauritania, Lebanon and Sudan declare full support for Gianni Infantino following his withdrawal of a controversial World Cup investment plan.
Six Arab football federations declared full support for FIFA President Gianni Infantino amid mounting international opposition to his withdrawn World Cup investment plan and growing electoral challenges.
AI-generated summary
Infantino withdrew a proposed USD 20 billion private investment plan after facing severe backlash from global football officials.
Six Arab football federations have thrown their weight behind Gianni Infantino, declaring their “full support” for the embattled FIFA president as opposition to his controversial World Cup investment plan continues to grow.
The backing came from Morocco, Qatar, Egypt, Mauritania, Lebanon and Sudan on Thursday, with four of the six federation chiefs also serving on the FIFA Council. Their public show of support comes days after Infantino withdrew a proposed USD 20 billion private investment plan linked to the World Cup following a fierce backlash from football officials around the world.
“We, the undersigned leaders of our respective football associations, express our full support for Mr. Gianni Infantino, President of FIFA, and reaffirm our confidence in his leadership and continued commitment to the development of football worldwide,” the statement said.
The six leaders also praised Infantino’s efforts to expand football opportunities globally and said they looked forward to continuing their cooperation with him.
Arab support clashes with continental stance
The declaration has exposed a growing divide within the Asian football bloc, with Qatar and Lebanon backing Infantino despite the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) joining the opposition to his World Cup proposal.
The AFC, UEFA and CONCACAF issued a strongly worded open letter on Monday, calling Infantino’s proposal a “fundamental breach of trust” and accusing FIFA of “deception”. UEFA has also warned that European football could consider boycotting FIFA competitions and events if concerns surrounding the proposal are not addressed.
The contrasting positions of Qatar and Lebanon are particularly notable because both are AFC members. Their federation presidents have now publicly backed Infantino despite their continental body’s criticism of the FIFA president.
The four FIFA Council members among Thursday’s signatories are Qatar Football Association president Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Egyptian Football Association president Hany Abo Rida, Moroccan Football Federation president Fouzi Lekjaa and Mauritanian Football Federation president Ahmed Yahya. Lebanon’s Hashem Haidar and Sudan’s Moatasem Gafar completed the list.
Morocco, which will co-host the 2030 World Cup, has also previously appeared among the federations whose support for Infantino was highlighted on his official Instagram account.
Pressure mounts despite Arab backing
Infantino’s position has come under increasing pressure since his investment proposal triggered a backlash among FIFA’s member associations and continental confederations.
The Football Association of Ireland announced on Thursday that it had withdrawn its support for Infantino’s re-election, citing concerns over governance, transparency and consultation.
England and Wales had taken a similar position last week, while Northern Ireland said it supported UEFA’s stance.
New Zealand Football has also withdrawn its support for Infantino’s candidature and called for an independent review of the development of the FIFA Forward Enterprise scheme, saying recent decisions had contributed to a breakdown in trust within world football.
Infantino, FIFA president since 2016, had appeared almost certain to secure another term unopposed at next year’s election in Morocco. However, FIFA has set November 18 as the deadline for potential challengers, leaving the door open for the growing opposition to turn into a formal electoral challenge.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Potential challengers may enter the FIFA presidential election.
Likely · Within weeks
Zolani Tete, 38, former world champion boxer, shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa; a 27-year-old woman with him was also shot and hospitalized.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand's historic run at the BWF World Championships ended with a semifinal loss to China's Tan Ning and Liu Sheng Shu (21-18, 13-21, 8-21), but they secured India's first women's doubles bronze in 15 years.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand are India's last remaining representatives at the BWF World Championships. The women's doubles pair secured a bronze medal after a quarterfinal win and will face top seeds Liu Shengshu and Tan Ning in the semifinals.
Mitchell Starc took six wickets to bowl Bangladesh out for 64, but Shoriful Islam responded with a six-wicket haul of his own. Australia ended the day at 165-8, holding a 101-run lead in the second Test.
India head coach Gautam Gambhir rejects claims that the national Test team is struggling, attributing recent results to a transition period. Despite home series losses, Gambhir emphasizes his focus on winning trophies over rankings ahead of the second Test in Colombo.
Olympic medallist Leander Paes has applied for 'Sportspersons of Outstanding Merit' status to contest the All India Tennis Association (AITA) presidential election. The move follows new national sports governance rules, with elections expected in November.