
A 17-year-old girl was killed and three others injured in an attack at Brinell School; suspect in custody.
AI-generated summary
Sweden has experienced previous school-based violence, including a 2022 shooting in Orebro and a 2015 sword attack in Trollhattan.
Swedish police have identified the victim of Friday’s deadly sword attack at a Fagersta high school as a 17-year-old girl, as her classmates and the country’s political leaders gather to mourn her.
“The person killed in this incident is a young 17-year-old female. Her family has been informed,” police said on Saturday, declining to release further details.
Local newspaper Fagersta-Posten reported that her parents confirmed the death.
The Brinell School’s principal told local media the 18-year-old suspect was a student there. He entered the building on Friday afternoon, just days after classes resumed from summer break, and was arrested at the scene of the attack.
Two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously wounded in the attack, one requiring emergency surgery. A third victim was treated for light injuries and has since gone home.
By Saturday morning, the scene outside Brinell had transformed into a memorial of candles, flowers and a steady stream of visitors, including Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson, who travelled to Fagersta to pay their respects.
Political parties across the country paused campaigning ahead of September’s election.
An unnamed police source told the Reuters news agency that investigators are looking into whether the suspect had ties to online communities that promote school violence.
Police are examining a TikTok account, taken down hours after the attack, that posted an image of a sword 20 minutes before it began and had previously featured videos referencing past school attacks in Sweden and Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.
“The investigators are looking into various online communities which might have egged on the suspect to carry out the attack,” the Reuters source said.
Prosecutors have ordered the person held on suspicion of murder and multiple counts of attempted murder.
Police say they have carried out about 80 interviews so far, with plans to question nearly all of the school’s roughly 450 staff members and students.
The attack adds to a grim pattern. Sweden endured its deadliest school shooting last year, when a gunman killed 10 people in Orebro, and a 2015 sword attack in Trollhattan that killed three people in what authorities called a racially motivated hate crime.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Police to interview nearly all 450 school staff and students.
Very likely · Within weeks

A Texas judge has denied a motion for a new trial for 19-year-old Karmelo Anthony, who was convicted of murdering 17-year-old athlete Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet in April 2025. Anthony's defense team plans to appeal the decision.

A 17-year-old boy was killed during a gang-related shooting at an Independence High School football game in Bakersfield, California. A 15-year-old suspect has been arrested and charged with murder and criminal street gang participation.

Armed men, identified by survivors as the Lakurawa group, kidnapped dozens of worshippers from Kpenya Mosque in Niger State, Nigeria. Clashes between rival armed groups and reports of landmine-related deaths have further destabilized the region.

Seven people, including two police officers, died in a head-on collision near Middlesbrough, UK, after a pursuit of a vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road. The incident follows a series of similar crashes in the UK and Ireland linked to social media trends.

A 17-year-old girl was killed and three others injured in a sword attack at Brinell high school in Fagersta, Sweden. An 18-year-old male suspect has been arrested, and police are investigating potential links to online communities promoting school violence.

Armed extremists attacked a mosque in Niger State, Nigeria, during Friday prayers, abducting dozens (up to 60 reported) and killing several, though police claim no lives were lost. Responsibility unclaimed, but witnesses link attackers to either Lakurawa (IS Sahel Province) or Ansaru (al-Qaeda aligned).