AI-generated summary
An 18-year-old assaulted a 64-year-old woman sleeping near Mitcham Memorial Library in Hawthorn on November 13, 2025.
A teenage boy who assaulted a woman sleeping rough has pleaded guilty to serious criminal trespass in South Australia's Youth Court.
The now-18-year-old pleaded guilty in June to causing harm with intent against the woman, which was today accepted by the prosecution.
The prosecution had applied for the matter to be dealt with in the District Court, with the defendant to be sentenced as an adult given the "extremely serious" nature and "harrowing nine-minute-long footage" of the offending.
That application is to be fought by his defence lawyers, who are seeking to have the matter remain in the Youth Court.
The lawyer for the defendant said documentation from the centre where he has been remanded in custody reflected "very positive reports from youth justice" and addressed his "complex mental health issues".
The court heard the youth had a long-standing ADHD diagnosis and undiagnosed autism spectrum disorder.
At the time of the attack, police said the 64-year-old victim had been sleeping in the vicinity of Mitcham Memorial Library on Belair Road at Hawthorn.
Police said she had been kicked and punched to the head and body in the early hours of November 13, 2025.
Paramedics treated the woman before taking her to hospital where she was reported to be in a serious but stable condition.
The teenager was also accused of breaking into nearby businesses on the same night and subsequently charged with serious criminal trespass.
Magistrate John Wells today urged counsel to consider that the matter involved "highly vulnerable" parties and that it would be "unfortunate" and time-consuming for the case to be referred to the District Court, only to be sent back to the Youth Court.
"I want to say to everyone, I urge you all to do your best to try and resolve it," he said.
"We have a highly vulnerable victim โ her interests are important.
"We have a highly vulnerable child in custody, and his interests are also important.
"Please don't let anyone ignore those paramount considerations."
Magistrate Wells told the defendant that he was "very keen to finalise" the matter.
"I'm sure you are, I'm sure your parents are and those who support you are, but we are moving in the right direction," he said.
The 18-year-old remained in custody and would appear in court next month.
AI outlook โ possibilities, not facts
Defendant will appear in court next month.
Very likely ยท Within weeks
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.