
Mykhailo Fedorov, Ukraine's former defense minister, calls for wartime elections, posing a direct political challenge to President Zelenskyy amid a wartime governance crisis.
AI-generated summary
Ukraine is in an ongoing conflict with Russia since 2014, escalated in February 2022.
Ukraine's former defense chief Mykhailo Fedorov has called for wartime elections in what many see as the most direct political challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy since Russia launched its full-scale invasion nearly four-and-a-half years ago.
Fedorov, who was unexpectedly sacked last month as part of a government reshuffle, said Tuesday that "democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," according to a Reuters translation. "We must find a legal, safe and realistic mechanism that will allow Ukraine to renew its full democratic process even in the conditions of a long war," Fedorov said.
His comments, which did not mention Zelenskyy by name, were delivered in a more than nine-minute video posted to YouTube. Ukrainian law currently prohibits holding elections during wartime.
A former ally of Zelenskyy, Fedorov is widely seen as a popular figure in Ukraine. His dismissal in late July after roughly six months in post prompted protests in major cities across the country. An advocate of the country's drone warfare, the 35-year-old has been credited with energizing the defense ministry and spearheading a drive against corruption.
Fedorov's statement came just hours after Zelenskyy confirmed he had asked parliament to confirm Yevhen Khmara as Ukraine's new defense minister in office on Wednesday, effectively closing the door on a Fedorov comeback.
Fedorov said Ukraine faced a "systemic crisis of governance" and condemned official corruption for hurting the country's war effort, without providing the names of any lawmakers.
Zelenskyy has not yet responded to Fedorov's video statement. CNBC has contacted Ukraine's Foreign Ministry for comment and is awaiting a response.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased political tensions within the Ukrainian government.
Likely · Within weeks

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.