
Washington escalates efforts to dismantle the International Criminal Court, citing concerns over jurisdiction and politicization.
AI-generated summary
The US has historically opposed the ICC's jurisdiction over its nationals and allies. The court issued an arrest warrant for Benjamin Netanyahu in November 2024.
Washington on Tuesday announced sanctions against the president of the International Criminal Court (ICC), as the Trump administration ramps up its efforts to "dismantle" the organisation.
In a statement, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US was sanctioning ICC President Tomoko Akane as well as senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, accusing them of "directly" engaging "in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction."
Rubio, who called the ICC a "corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court," added that it had "maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate," saying it had "repeatedly attempted to assert authority over nationals of the United States and other countries that have not consented to its jurisdiction or ratified the Rome Statute."
Washington has repeatedly accused the ICC of "politicised actions" and of "targeting Israel." The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in November 2024 relating to the war in Gaza.
Responding to the US' move in a statement, the ICC reportedly said the new sanctions "undermine the rule of law."
"When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk," it said.
In July, the State Department announced plans to embark on a campaign to bring down the court and "systematically disable" its "ability to operate."
It said actions it could take included increased sanctions and visa revocations, as well as travel bans on ICC personnel.
The US had already imposed sanctions against several members of the court, including a number of judges.

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

The UK, Australia, Canada, and Poland condemned Israel's decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 airstrike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza.

Conservative German mayor Bernd Prange donated €10,000 to the far-right AfD and urged voters to back them in an upcoming Saxony-Anhalt election, creating a political dilemma for CDU leaders defending their firewall against the far right.

The UN Security Council is set to conduct a second straw poll to evaluate candidates for the next Secretary-General. With António Guterres' term ending December 31, members are assessing support for contenders from Latin America and Africa amidst potential veto power influence.

Japan has formally protested Russia's missile tests conducted near the disputed Northern Territories. The drills, involving the Pacific Fleet, follow President Vladimir Putin's recent visit to the islands, further straining bilateral relations amid the Ukraine war.