
Hichilema secures around 60% of votes in a race criticized for a tightly managed campaign and opposition fraud allegations.
Zambia's President Hakainde Hichilema won re-election with about 60% of the vote, defeating 13 challengers led by Brian Mundubile in an election overshadowed by fraud allegations and tensions.
AI-generated summary
Hichilema has been in power since 2021, during which Zambia's economy returned to growth after years of fiscal distress.
Zambia's President Hakainde Hichilema won re-election with around 60% of votes cast last week, the electoral commission announced on Tuesday, after a race critics said was tightly managed by his government.
The result was widely expected, with Hichilema, who has been in power since 2021, facing a crowded field of 13 challengers led by a former provincial minister, Brian Mundubile, making his first bid for the presidency.
Mundubile, 55, who entered the race in May, secured nearly 38% of the vote, Electoral Commission of Zambia chairperson Mwangala Zaloumis said.
Five of the 226 constituencies had not been tallied, she said. However, "the outstanding results are not likely to materially influence the overall result of that election," she said.
The 13 August election in the copper-rich southern African nation was overshadowed by opposition allegations of fraud and an unprecedented nationwide suspension of vote tallying after attacks on election staff and the theft of marked ballot papers.
Ahead of the vote, opposition parties and civil society groups warned of a shrinking political space, citing restrictions on campaigning.
International and domestic observer missions said at the weekend that the conditions had contributed to an uneven playing field.
Tensions escalated after the vote when authorities arrested nearly a dozen people, including senior opposition figures, during a raid that involved an exchange of gunfire.
The government said those arrested were linked to militia or insurgent activity around the election, allegations denied by Mundubile's NRPUP party.
The election was widely seen as a referendum on Hichilema's first term during which Zambia's economy returned to growth after years of fiscal distress.

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

The UK, Australia, Canada, and Poland condemned Israel's decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 airstrike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza.

Conservative German mayor Bernd Prange donated €10,000 to the far-right AfD and urged voters to back them in an upcoming Saxony-Anhalt election, creating a political dilemma for CDU leaders defending their firewall against the far right.

The UN Security Council is set to conduct a second straw poll to evaluate candidates for the next Secretary-General. With António Guterres' term ending December 31, members are assessing support for contenders from Latin America and Africa amidst potential veto power influence.

Japan has formally protested Russia's missile tests conducted near the disputed Northern Territories. The drills, involving the Pacific Fleet, follow President Vladimir Putin's recent visit to the islands, further straining bilateral relations amid the Ukraine war.