NEET paper leak protest: Supreme Court decides to form high-powered committee
The Supreme Court has taken the initiative to cancel the FIR registered against the protesting students and investigate the violence that took place during the protests.
Quick Look
- The Supreme Court has decided to form a high-powered committee to investigate the violence and police action during the protests against the NEET paper leak.
- The court has also indicated to cancel the FIR registered against the protesting students.
AI-generated summary
Why It Matters
A demonstration was organized at Jantar Mantar by the Cockroach Janata Party in protest against the NEET-UG paper leak. During this time there were clashes between the police and the protesters.
Published 18 August 2026
The Supreme Court has decided to form a committee to look into the police actions and violence against policemen during the Cockroach Janata Party protests over the NEET paper leak.
Also, the Supreme Court has expressed its intention to cancel the FIR registered against the students who were protesting demanding the resignation of Dharmendra Pradhan.
On the other hand, Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) has said that the intention of the government in the case of FIR registered against the protesting students is not right.
On Tuesday, the Supreme Court was hearing petitions related to several issues that came to the fore during the agitation against NEET paper leak.
This high powered committee being formed by the court will investigate all the issues that came up during the protests against the NEET-UG paper leak.
What kind of committee did the Supreme Court form?
The bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant, Justice Joymalya Bagchi and Justice V. Mohana has indicated that this committee will have a former judge of the Supreme Court, a former judge of the High Court and a retired police officer of DGP rank.
According to Bar & Bench, a website covering legal matters, the Supreme Court said that the high-powered panel will be entrusted with the task of fact-finding and will be asked to submit reports from time to time so that the court can give necessary directions.
The bench said, "We will provide all necessary infrastructure to the committee. We are confident that the committee will give an opportunity to any victim coming before it to present its case promptly. We will look forward to the suggestions that the committee will make from time to time, and also to the necessary legal consequences."
The court also said that the committee will also investigate allegations of sexual violence and online harassment of women protesters and harassing other vulnerable people through social media.
Justice Surya Kant said, "Whoever is responsible cannot have any excuse or any reason. This should be taken seriously and taken to its logical conclusion. That is why we are forming a high-powered committee. The committee will look into every aspect of these cases."
According to the Indian Express, the Chief Justice said, "We have agreed to become a member of a former Director General of CBI, who is a very distinguished officer and retired a few years ago. We have also taken the consent of a former Director General of Police of a state, who has no connection with it. He is also a retired officer."
Justice Surya Kant told the parties that two options were kept open so that the court does not want anyone in future to make any kind of allegations on the presence of a CBI officer.
He said, "We do not want to make the names public because we want to save the officials from any kind of confusion. Who among the two do you think we should include in the committee? Or do you leave this decision to us."
The court said that if the parties give their suggestions on the committee, then the order can be issued on Wednesday itself. Justice Surya Kant said, "Once your suggestions come, we will be able to issue the order tomorrow."
What will happen to the FIR lodged against the protesters?
During last month's protest at Jantar Mantar, one of the many demands of CJP was that the FIR registered against the protesters should be cancelled. The Supreme Court has also given its opinion on this issue.
According to Bar & Bench, the Supreme Court said it will consider quashing the FIRs related to the students using its powers under Article 142 (the exclusive power of the Supreme Court to adjudicate), but the cases of people with serious criminal antecedents may be considered separately.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the central government, agreed that the FIR against the student protesters should be cancelled. However, he said that people with serious criminal background had also joined the protest and they should be investigated.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta said that except 2,873 people, against whom there are cases related to serious crimes like murder, rape, kidnapping, the cases against the rest can be cancelled.
Justice Surya Kant said that state governments can submit the list of those FIRs in which only students are involved.
The Supreme Court said, "The power of this court is well settled in law and we can exercise that power. As far as FIRs related to those people about whom you say have a criminal record are concerned, we had upheld this last time."
CJP raised questions on the central government
Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) spokesperson Saurav Das has said that the intention of the government in the case of FIR registered against the protesting students is not right.
He said, "Solicitor General Tushar Mehta is saying yes in the court, when the court is asking to give the list of FIRs which we have to close, then why are you not giving that list."
He said, "The FIR against the protesting students should be cancelled. How to do this, the honorable judge can decide. Also, the anti-social elements infiltrating the protests should be investigated."
Saurav Das said, "The last hearing on this issue was held several days ago, today the situation is the same again. I am telling you, the intention is not right. They have identified around 2800 criminals, if action has to be taken against them then that is a different issue."
"But the issue of the students and the protesters is related to the FIR. You are saying yes in the court but are hesitating on the action to be taken, then your intentions are not visible. We will not accept this. Don't play 'delay tactics' with us."
He said, "If such people (already involved in serious crimes) have committed any crime by participating in the protest, then take action against them. But under the guise of taking action against peaceful protesters, we will not tolerate it."
What to Watch
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Announcement of names of members of the High-Powered Committee by the Supreme Court.
Very likely · Within days
Open Questions
- Who will be the last members of the committee?
- When will the process of cancellation of FIR be completed?

