A union proposal being presented to the government calls for nationwide two-year minimum leases, tighter rules on rent gouging, and increased public housing construction.
The Australian Council of Trade Unions is proposing a nationwide two-year minimum lease, a fivefold increase in public housing construction, and tighter rules on rent gouging to improve housing stability.
AI-generated summary
Under current laws, minimum lease agreements vary across Australian states and territories, with some having no rules in place.
Landlords would have to offer renters at least two years on their lease, and the proportion of new public housing would increase fivefold as part of a union proposal being presented to the government.
Under current laws, the minimum for lease agreements varies across states and territories, and some, including New South Wales, have no rules in place at all.
The Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) said a nationwide two-year minimum, with the option for renters to opt for a shorter period, would give renters more stability and allow them to plan.
"Having a standard of at least two years across the country would give renters the security of knowing they can stay in their home for at least that period of time," ACTU president Michele O'Neil said.
The union also wants a return to a Hawke-style model of construction, increasing the rate of public housing being built from one in 50 new homes to one in 10.
Public housing is owned and administered by state and territory governments, and the 2026 State of Housing report found public housing stock declined by 1,143 rental units last year, despite annual dwelling completions for public housing increasing 32 per cent over the same period.
"If we expand public housing, you will see more rental stock available, and that is going to free up stock in the rental market and make private stock more sustainable," Ms O'Neil said.
"It's the combination of measures that need to be put in place — the tax changes from the budget, public housing expansion, and stronger rental rights."
According to the ACTU Housing Plan, the union will also be pushing for tighter rules around rent gouging and a long-term goal of at least 6 per cent of total housing stock being public.
To get there, it is suggesting removal of GST on the cost of maintaining public housing, and a review of the Commonwealth Rent Assistance setting.
Union confident minimum would not drive away landlords
A note sent by NAB to its investors showed the bank was projecting a 30 per cent increase in rents in Sydney and Melbourne over the next two years, which it said was in response to the government's tax changes for property investors.
The negative gearing and capital gains tax adjustments, announced in the May federal budget, were part of an original push from the ACTU to improve housing conditions for workers.
In parliament on Tuesday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese pushed back on the suggestion, and said the bank does not forecast rental yields.
Ms O'Neil also pushed back on the claim, and said she was confident further restrictions on landlords, including the proposed two-year lease, would not discourage investment.
"I think it is more likely that some professional landlords are being opportunistic, and some professional landlords are using the tax changes as cover that actually will not apply to them to justify unacceptable rent increases," she said.
Modular construction part of productivity solution
Ms O'Neil said the union was looking to modular building in factories as a solution to productivity issues in the housing construction sector.
"We think modular housing is something that is a real opportunity to expand housing in Australia with high-quality housing, but expanding the stock," she said.
Shadow Housing Minister Andrew Bragg is advocating a dramatic rewrite of the National Construction Code to simplify the building process and speed up construction.
After a productivity roundtable last year, the government also said it would consider streamlining the code.
Ms O'Neil said the union wanted to make sure an increase in housing stock, both public and private, did not come at the expense of quality.
"A high-quality house actually makes it more affordable," she said.
"It's a false economy if you have maintenance issues, or if your house is too hot or too cold; it causes all sorts of problems for health and security.
"We don't want to see any reduction in standards in housing that we build; in fact, we want to make sure that however much income you have, you have a safe home."
The union wants the changes to be delivered via the 'A Better Deal For Renters' agreement, which was last updated during a meeting of National Cabinet in 2023.
The agreement committed to standardised genuine grounds evictions, a ban on soliciting rent bidding, and a national standard of no more than one rent increase per year.
It is not yet clear who will replace Ms O'Neil as ACTU president, after she announced her resignation last month.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
ACTU will push for the housing changes to be delivered via the 'A Better Deal For Renters' agreement.
Likely · Within months

Liberal frontbencher Andrew Hastie maintained a notable silence during federal parliament question time this week while facing political threats from Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Western Australia and pushing for a new AI committee.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will implement a gun buyback scheme, similar to NSW's, as part of a national effort to strengthen gun laws post-Bondi Beach terrorist attack. The Commonwealth will fund 75% of buyback and 100% of destruction costs.

The Plymouth Brethren Christian Church has denied allegations that it paid far-right influencers to target Anthony Albanese. The church also rejected claims it coordinated hundreds of volunteers to support Liberal candidates during the 2025 election campaign.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that a former ASIO agent, 'Marcus,' can testify at the Bondi royal commission remotely, as his evidence is now declassified. The agent, currently living abroad, seeks Australian resettlement due to safety concerns.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott announced plans for legal action against individuals he claims slandered him, following ICAC testimony regarding alleged political interference by property developer Jean Nassif.
Anti-corruption barrister Geoffrey Watson has defended the terms of reference for Victoria's royal commission into major projects. While the opposition claims the inquiry is limited, Premier Ben Carroll and Watson insist the scope is broad and independent.