
Human rights NGO warns EU to halt offshore detention plans following report on Gjadër center.
AI-generated summary
Italy established migrant detention centers in Albania in 2024 to process asylum seekers. The agreement has faced legal challenges regarding the safety of countries of origin and human rights standards.
The human rights of people held in Italy’s migrant detention hubs in Albania are not being protected, Amnesty International said as it warned the EU to reconsider the use of return hubs.
“It is abundantly clear that the Italy-Albania model is impossible to implement in line with Italy’s human rights obligations,” said Eve Geddie, director of Amnesty International’s European Institutions Office, as the human rights NGO launched a report on the deal between Rome and Tirana.
“This reality must be a wake-up call for the EU to put any future plans to expand the use of offshore detention and other externalization tools firmly on ice,” Geddie said.
Italy has two migration centers in Albania, including one in the village of Gjadër that was set up in 2024. Initially built as a detention center for migrants intercepted in international waters, the government decided in 2025 to use it to house male asylum seekers who had been ordered to leave Italy and were awaiting deportation. According to Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s Brothers of Italy party, more than 500 people have been sent there.
According to the Amnesty report, 42 “critical” incidents were recorded between April 11 and May 16, 2025, in the Gjadër center, which it said included self-harm, at least two suicide attempts by hanging, and a violent protest.
The report also raised concerns about “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment” during transfers to the hub, and it warned that detention in Albania “significantly undermines” people’s right to seek asylum and justice, as they have limited access to lawyers and courts. The NGO also said that the selection process for transfers to Albania isn’t transparent, raising concerns that it could be “discriminatory or punitive.”
What happens in the centers is “largely shrouded in mystery,” Amnesty also said, as the “Italian government has obstructed independent monitoring of the agreement’s implementation, including by restricting parliamentary oversight and bypassing ordinary legislative processes.”
The Italian government did not respond to a request for comment.
Amnesty said it had been denied access to the detention centers, and therefore based its research on correspondence with the ministry of the interior, reviews of court documents, information shared by civil society networks, reports by MPs and watchdogs, and interviews with U.N. agencies and lawyers.
The scheme, while controversial, is gaining traction across the EU, with new legislation allowing countries to send failed asylum-seekers to so-called return hubs outside the bloc.
Earlier this month, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani advocated for “‘Albania-style’ … centres in various African countries” and “more generally, in countries of origin and transit” ahead of emergency EU talks prompted by the arrival of tens of thousands of migrants from Morocco to the Spanish exclave of Ceuta.
The deal has come under intense legal scrutiny both in Italy and at the EU’s highest court. A Rome court ruled in 2024 that the first group of migrants sent to Albania as part of the deal could not be detained offshore because their countries of origin — Bangladesh and Egypt— could not be considered safe.
In a non-binding opinion to the Court of Justice of the EU earlier this year, a top adviser argued that EU law doesn’t prevent a country from setting up detention centers to process failed asylum-seekers outside its own territory, on the condition that the migrants’ rights are fully protected.

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

TikTok has agreed to a $400 million settlement with the US Department of Justice to resolve allegations that the platform violated children's privacy laws by collecting data from users under 13 without parental permission.

FIFA has issued suspensions to three Argentina players and coach Roberto Ayala following on-field altercations during the World Cup final against Spain. Leandro Paredes received a 10-match ban, while the Argentina football federation faces significant fines.

Nearly two years after the fall of Bashar al-Assad, millions of Syrians who returned home face severe economic challenges, including high costs of living, destroyed infrastructure, and bureaucratic obstacles, leading some to regret their return.

French health and consumer watchdogs have warned that over 40,000 noncompliant condoms were sold online, posing risks of STIs and unwanted pregnancies. Investigators found 30 product lines lacking EU safety markings, prompting a wider European crackdown on counterfeits.