
New South Wales to Launch Nationwide Initiative with Stricter Licensing and Hate Crackdown
Australia's PM Anthony Albanese announces a November gun buyback scheme for New South Wales, alongside tighter licensing and hate crime measures, in response to the deadly 2025 Sydney Bondi Beach attack that killed 15, where legally obtained powerful firearms were used.
AI-generated summary
The measures follow a deadly gun attack at a Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, highlighting concerns over increased firearm ownership in Australia.
Australia’s prime minister has said that New South Wales will begin a gun buyback scheme in November as part of a nationwide response to last year’s deadly Sydney beach attack. The gun buyback scheme will be accompanied by tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Sunday.
The measures targeting firearm ownership are a reaction to the December 14, 2025, gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, New South Wales, that killed 15 people. The alleged gunmen used powerful firearms that were legally obtained. Australians owned a record 4.1 million firearms last year, the government has said, with more than 1.1 million of those in New South Wales, the country’s most populous state.
New South Wales’ gun buyback scheme is scheduled to start on November 2, and will see the state offer owners up to 1,000 Australian dollars ($700) per handgun or rifle handed in. “Australians are quite rightly proud of our gun laws, but the fact is there are more guns in Australia today than there were at the time of dealing with the Port Arthur gun buyback,” Albanese said in televised remarks. In the 1996 Port Arthur attack, a lone gunman killed 35 people and led to sweeping restrictions on ownership of automatic and semi-automatic firearms in Australia. Since the Bondi Beach attack, New South Wales state has introduced its own laws limiting gun ownership to four guns per person.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased compliance with gun regulations in New South Wales
Likely · Within months

The trial of Lindsay Clancy, accused of killing her three children in 2023, nears its conclusion. Jurors must determine if she is guilty of murder or not criminally responsible due to postpartum psychosis, a central point of contention between defense and prosecution experts.
A 15-year-old boy has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after a stabbing in Terrigal, NSW. The victim, also 15, remains in critical condition at Gosford Hospital following the incident on Painters Lane.

The Metropolitan Police investigation into whether Lord Peter Mandelson shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein is stalling as US authorities have not yet provided access to critical unredacted files, despite formal requests for mutual legal assistance.

Five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash in County Kildare, Ireland, while allegedly filming reckless driving for social media. The incident has triggered national debate over police pursuit policies, youth social services, and the role of platforms like TikTok.

Karmelo Anthony, 19, is seeking a retrial for the 35-year sentence he received for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet. Defense attorneys argue Anthony was discouraged from testifying due to fears over damaging evidence.

An 18-year-old suspect is in custody after a sword attack at Brinellskola in Fagersta, Sweden, left one person dead and multiple others wounded. The school had recently reopened for the academic year.