Breaking
TRMilletvekili Melih Meriç'i Bıçaklayan Zanlı Seydi Ahmet Keleş'in İfadesi ÇıktıTRİranlı eski Cumhurbaşkanı Hatemi'den ABD ile imzalanan mutabakata destekARتسليم ضابط سوري سابق، وتوترات إسرائيلية تركية، وعمليات واسعة في الضفة الغربيةRUDenmark deploys military conscripts to Greenland amid US annexation threatsUSHackers Steal Data of Over 3.75 Million in CareCloud BreachDEKontroverse um Ex-Cambridge-Professor: Der Fall Arday, eine britische TragödieTRFransa'da Bu Yıl Sıcak Hava Dalgaları ile İlişkilendirilen 7 Bin 300'den Fazla Ölüm KaydedildiTRBakan Göktaş, YKS Tercihleri Sonucunda Üniversiteye Yerleşen Gençleri Tebrik EdildiESLa trágica historia de Hayden Panettiere: adicciones, relaciones abusivas y la indiferencia de HollywoodTRAntarktika Havalayan ABD Uçağı, Rusya'nın 'Olasi Tehlike' Uyarısı Sonrası Dönüş YaptıTRMilletvekili Melih Meriç'i Bıçaklayan Zanlı Seydi Ahmet Keleş'in İfadesi ÇıktıTRİranlı eski Cumhurbaşkanı Hatemi'den ABD ile imzalanan mutabakata destekARتسليم ضابط سوري سابق، وتوترات إسرائيلية تركية، وعمليات واسعة في الضفة الغربيةRUDenmark deploys military conscripts to Greenland amid US annexation threatsUSHackers Steal Data of Over 3.75 Million in CareCloud BreachDEKontroverse um Ex-Cambridge-Professor: Der Fall Arday, eine britische TragödieTRFransa'da Bu Yıl Sıcak Hava Dalgaları ile İlişkilendirilen 7 Bin 300'den Fazla Ölüm KaydedildiTRBakan Göktaş, YKS Tercihleri Sonucunda Üniversiteye Yerleşen Gençleri Tebrik EdildiESLa trágica historia de Hayden Panettiere: adicciones, relaciones abusivas y la indiferencia de HollywoodTRAntarktika Havalayan ABD Uçağı, Rusya'nın 'Olasi Tehlike' Uyarısı Sonrası Dönüş Yaptı
Newsgather
BackGeopolitical tensions: Trump reduces training with South Korea and an escalation in the Iran war
Geopolitical tensions: Trump reduces training with South Korea and an escalation in the Iran war
BREAKING
دويتشه فيله19 hours agoWorld6 min readArgentinaView original

Geopolitical tensions: Trump reduces training with South Korea and an escalation in the Iran war

The repercussions of the Iranian-American war extend to the Strait of Hormuz and Iraq, with escalating tensions in the West Bank and the Iraqi Kurdistan region.

Quick Look

  • US President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in military exercises with South Korea in response to its refusal to support Iranian disarmament efforts.
  • At the same time, clashes continue in the Strait of Hormuz, and security tensions are rising in Iraq, the West Bank, and the Kurdistan Region.

AI-generated summary

Why It Matters

Iran and the United States have been locked in a military conflict since February 2026, which has led to disruptions to maritime navigation in the Strait of Hormuz.

Font size

South Korean Foreign Minister Jo Hyun said today (Wednesday, August 19, 2026) that an order issued by US President Donald Trump to reduce joint military exercises appeared to be aimed at pressuring Seoul to support what the United States is doing in the Iran war, in addition to other outstanding issues such as pumping investments. He continued, saying, "I believe that President Trump's message includes pressure regarding many outstanding issues with the South Korean government, in addition to being a message to North Korea and a desire from the United States to break the stalemate in the Iran war."

He noted that one possible reason for the dispute may be South Korea's pledge to invest $350 billion in the United States under a trade agreement signed last year. Seoul has not yet announced the details of this investment plan, but Cho said that Washington sent Seoul a proposal that includes general outlines for potential projects. He added, "We could not move faster regarding the investment plan because we have to look into the matter of commercial viability and take legal measures," and he also pointed to facing other unexpected problems, without giving further details.

South Korea and the United States said on Wednesday that they would shorten the period of conducting joint annual military exercises to five days instead of 11 previously, and reduce the scope of some field exercises after US President Donald Trump ordered a significant reduction in his country’s participation in them. South Korean Unification Minister Jung Dong-yong said he believes Trump is close to arranging a possible new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and that one way to do so is to reduce joint exercises that always anger Pyongyang.

Majid Al-Ansari, the official spokesman for the Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs, denied what he described as Tehran's "allegations" regarding its extradition of three Iranian pilots detained in the State of Qatar.

The Iranian General Staff said that it had asked the International Committee of the Red Cross to help secure the release of three Iranian pilots that it says are being held by Qatar.

Tehran reiterated that it will consider the pilots whose fighters were shot down captured in Doha until their fate is confirmed.

Al-Ansari explained to reporters in the weekly briefing of the Qatari Foreign Ministry that the Iranian planes targeted the city of Doha and were dealt with through the recognized rules of engagement. He added that the Qatari search and rescue teams searched, and on March 19, the remains of one of the pilots were found. The Iranian side was informed of this, and the search work ended on April 6, stressing that none of the other pilots were found.

He said that Iran sent a delegation to Doha and met with Qatari officials and received the body, adding that Qatar invited Iran to send a technical delegation to find out the details of the Qatari operations that took place within the framework of the research. “Unfortunately, the Iranian side did not even respond to the invitation... and we were surprised by the recent Iranian media statements that were completely baseless and illogical.”

The head of the Shura Council and Iran's chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, announced on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened before the United States implements Iran's demands, including lifting the naval blockade of its ports. Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television: “I want to say clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American obligations stipulated in the memorandum of understanding are implemented.” Ghalibaf counted among the demands the lifting of the blockade, the abolition of oil sanctions, and the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad.

Iran has been at war with the United States since the American-Israeli attacks on the Islamic Republic on February 28 led to the outbreak of a conflict that has spread throughout the Middle East. Despite the success of diplomatic efforts in ending the intense strikes between the two sides on April 8, sporadic clashes continued, especially in the Strait of Hormuz and its environs.

Iran has effectively imposed its control over navigation in the strait since the outbreak of war, and requires ships that want to cross it to obtain prior permission. It also wants to impose a “services allowance” on navigation traffic, which is rejected by Washington and other parties in the region.

For weeks, Tehran and Muscat have been conducting negotiations on the future of navigation through the strait, while Iran confirmed on Wednesday that an agreement had been reached on the geographical coordinates of the route that the ships are supposed to take. Tehran confirmed on Monday that the negotiations are “progressing seriously,” noting that it is in the process of exchanging views with Oman to formulate a “joint statement.”

Donald Trump threatened to bomb the Sultanate of Oman if it “obstructed” any possible agreement with Iran regarding the Strait of Hormuz, calling on Tehran to surrender in light of the continuing war, which has become an internal burden on the president.

Ghalibaf stressed in his speech that his country "is ready to inflict a more severe defeat on the enemy, in accordance with its practices."

The security official in the Hezbollah Brigades, Abu Mujahid Al-Assaf, said in the statement: “We have been patient for more than a hundred days with the empty ramblings of the young Prime Minister-designate, Ali Al-Zaidi (...), but we have not seen any development from him in understanding the complex circumstances going through Iraq and the region.” He added in the statement published on Monday night: “Our patience is beginning to run out with the provocative and irresponsible actions of the Zaidi young man,” noting that “homes were stormed and the families of the martyrs, the wounded, the mujahideen, and the sheikhs were terrorized and under the direct supervision of the American enemy.”

He continued, "We may begin to work on the principle of 'an eye for an eye, and the first is more unjust'," calling on political leaders to "correct the security distortion caused by" Al-Zaidi.

Kataib Hezbollah is considered one of the most influential Iraqi groups closest to Tehran. Over the years, it carried out attacks on American interests in Iraq, and lost a number of its most prominent leaders in American strikes on its positions. The Brigades, along with other factions, refuse to search for their weapons, under the pretext of the continued presence of foreign forces in Iraq, especially within the framework of the international coalition led by Washington to fight ISIS.

Al-Zaidi, who took office in May with American blessing and pledged to confine the weapons of armed groups to the state, gave the factions a deadline of September 30 to give up their weapons, coinciding with the end of the international coalition’s mission and the end of the withdrawal of American forces.

The Iraqi authorities say that in recent weeks they have begun receiving weapons from some groups.

Abu Mujahid Al-Assaf said that the factions clinging to their weapons require the “complete and real” exit of the international coalition and “liberating the political and economic decision from American hegemony,” in addition to “removing the Turkish forces” stationed for years in northern Iraq under the pretext of fighting the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, and “dissolving the armed Peshmerga forces” affiliated with the Kurdistan Regional Government.

Iraq faces increasing challenges in maintaining balance in its relations between the United States and Iran, and since the American invasion in 2003, it has constituted an arena of competition between the two powers.

Two Iraqi political sources told AFP that Al-Zaidi informed the political leaders of his readiness for “confrontation” and “clash” with the factions clinging to their weapons if they insisted on refusing to cooperate after the September 30 deadline.

The British Maritime Trade Operations Authority said today, Tuesday (August 18, 2026), that it had received a report about a ship being hit by an unknown projectile while crossing the Strait of Hormuz in the direction of departure, which caused damage to the engine room and resulted in casualties among the crew.

The rest of the crew members are receiving assistance from the Omani Coast Guard.

The authority reported that no environmental impact was reported as a result of the incident, while the authorities continue the investigation.

This comes at a time when shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz is still severely affected. The number of passing ships is still in the single digits, compared to more than 130 ships that used to sail daily through the strait before the war.

Oil prices rose on Tuesday as the prospects of reaching an agreement to end the war in the Middle East declined, after Iran announced that it would take a more offensive stance and the United States ruled out extending the ceasefire agreement, which reinforced concerns about energy supplies.

A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that his country had decided to shift its policy from defense to “complete offensive” due to faltering efforts to reach a permanent agreement to end the war with the United States, while Washington ruled out extending the temporary ceasefire agreement.

Progress has stalled in talks to stop the war and resume the movement of oil tankers through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, threatening to prolong the conflict.

Brent crude futures rose 27 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $91.14 a barrel by 00:03 GMT, after yesterday, Monday, recording its highest level since July 30.

US West Texas Intermediate crude also rose 42 cents to $85.04 a barrel, after increasing by more than one percent earlier in the session to $85.37, its highest level since July 31.

The European Union warned today, Monday (August 17, 2026), that the escalation of attacks by Israeli settlers in the town of Qasra and other areas in the West Bank may lead to a broader eruption of the situation, describing these attacks as absolutely unacceptable.

European Union spokesman Shadi Othman in the West Bank said in a statement to Voice of Palestine Radio that what Qusra is witnessing comes within the framework of a wave of settler attacks extending from the north of the West Bank to its south, indicating that the bloc is following developments through continuous contacts with Israel and other international parties.

Othman added that the European Union has not seen a tangible change on the ground so far, explaining that the continuation of the attacks prompted discussions within the bloc’s institutions regarding taking additional steps.

Othman indicated that the European Union intends to send delegations including European political officials and diplomats to the Palestinian territories during the coming weeks, with the aim of field examination of the situation, communicating with the residents and listening to their accounts of what they are exposed to.

Othman explained that the bloc continues to evaluate its position on developments in the West Bank, in light of calls from Palestinians and human rights organizations to take more firm European measures regarding the escalation of settler attacks.

Various areas of the West Bank are witnessing an escalation in settler attacks, including attacking Palestinians and their property, blocking roads, and burning or destroying property, amid warnings that the continuation of these developments may increase tension in the Palestinian territories.

The Israeli army said in a statement last Wednesday, “Israeli civilians set up a tent in the Qusra area, and Israeli army soldiers worked to remove it while providing protection for the residents,” a day after dozens of soldiers were sent to Qusra and stationed in a number of homes in the town.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967, while most European Union member states consider the Israeli settlements established there illegal under international law.

The Counter-Terrorism Service in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region announced at dawn today (Monday, August 17, 2026) that two “Hadid-110” explosive drones were directed from the Iranian border, towards the headquarters of the private office of the Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region and the residence of the Director of the Protection Agency in the Birmam District in Erbil Governorate, without causing casualties. Barzani announced in a post on the

Since the outbreak of the Middle East war at the end of February with a US-Israeli attack on Iran, the region has been bombed more than a thousand times, according to local authorities. The strikes were distributed between attacks announced by Iraqi armed factions on American interests, and Iranian strikes on sites of the Iranian Kurdish opposition that have been stationed for years in northern Iraq. The region, which has been autonomous since 1991 and is close to the United States and Western countries, adopts a careful approach in managing its relations with neighboring Iran.

US President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon to reduce joint exercises with South Korea after he said that it refused to help in denuclearizing Iran, pointing to his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump said in a social media post that the drills scheduled to begin this week are costly and "send a completely inappropriate and hostile signal" to North Korea, which he said has been "non-threatening and respectful" throughout Trump's time in the White House.

“Accordingly, and since it is too late to cancel them, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to significantly reduce joint military exercises!” Trump wrote. The president added that he recently asked South Korea's president to join the United States in its efforts to denuclearize Iran, "and they said, 'No, thanks!'" The move is the latest example of the president appearing to stand against an ally in favor of a leader whom previous administrations have long portrayed as an adversary. Trump and others in his administration have criticized NATO allies for what they see as a lack of support for his war against Iran, even as they seek to confront a more aggressive Russia in the Baltic region.

What to Watch

AI outlook — possibilities, not facts

  • Oil prices will continue to rise if the Strait of Hormuz continues to be closed.

    Likely · Within weeks

Open Questions

  • What are the details of South Korea's investment plan in the United States?
  • What will be the American reaction to the Iraqi factions’ refusal to hand over their weapons?

Related Topics

This article was originally published by دويتشه فيله.

Related Stories

إدانات دولية لتصريحات بن غفير وتوترات إقليمية عقب غارة إسرائيلية في سوريا
BREAKING·17 hours ago

إدانات دولية لتصريحات بن غفير وتوترات إقليمية عقب غارة إسرائيلية في سوريا

أدانت ألمانيا وفرنسا تصريحات وزير الأمن القومي الإسرائيلي إيتمار بن غفير بشأن غزة، بينما أثارت غارة إسرائيلية على مطار أبو الظهور العسكري في إدلب توترات دبلوماسية بين إسرائيل وسوريا وتركيا وسط مساعٍ أمريكية لمنع التصعيد.

الشرق الأوسط
4 min read
الأمم المتحدة: عدد غير مسبوق من الهجمات ضد عمال الإغاثة في 2025
World·19 hours ago

الأمم المتحدة: عدد غير مسبوق من الهجمات ضد عمال الإغاثة في 2025

أعلنت الأمم المتحدة عن تعرض عمال الإغاثة لعدد قياسي من الهجمات خلال 2025، حيث قُتل أو أُصيب أو خُطف 907 شخصاً. تصدرت غزة والسودان قائمة المناطق الأكثر خطورة، مع تحذيرات من تزايد المخاطر بسبب استخدام الطائرات المسيرة في النزاعات.

دويتشه فيله
1 min read
حوادث الطرق في مصر: "نزيف الأسفلت" مستمر وتساؤلات حول الأسباب والحلول
World·20 hours ago

حوادث الطرق في مصر: "نزيف الأسفلت" مستمر وتساؤلات حول الأسباب والحلول

تتزايد حوادث السير في مصر، حيث سجلت بيانات رسمية ارتفاعاً في عدد الوفيات والمصابين خلال عام 2025. يربط الخبراء هذه الظاهرة بضعف الرقابة، العشوائية في منظومة النقل، وسلوكيات القيادة، بينما تواصل الحكومة استثماراتها في تطوير شبكة الطرق الوطنية.

دويتشه فيله
4 min read
أزمة المهاجرين القاصرين في سبتة: ظروف معيشية قاسية وتزايد في حالات الاعتداء
Developing·21 hours ago

أزمة المهاجرين القاصرين في سبتة: ظروف معيشية قاسية وتزايد في حالات الاعتداء

يعيش آلاف المهاجرين القاصرين في شوارع سبتة بظروف إنسانية صعبة، مع تقارير عن تزايد حالات الاعتداء الجنسي. تطالب السلطات المحلية في سبتة الحكومة المركزية في مدريد بدعم عاجل، بينما ترفض بعض الأقاليم الإسبانية استقبال المهاجرين، مما يعقد الحلول القانونية.

دويتشه فيله
3 min read
More on this topicDonald Trump