The family of the Australian aid worker killed in Gaza expresses 'deep disappointment' over the IDF's internal investigation findings.
The family of Zomi Frankcom, an Australian aid worker killed in a 2024 Israeli strike in Gaza, has condemned the IDF's decision not to pursue criminal charges against commanders involved in the attack, calling for an independent investigation.
AI-generated summary
Zomi Frankcom was killed alongside six other World Central Kitchen aid workers in an Israeli drone strike on April 1, 2024. The convoy was clearly marked and coordinating movements with the IDF.
The family of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, who was killed in an Israeli strike while delivering humanitarian aid in Gaza in 2024, has slammed the Israeli military's decision not to pursue criminal charges against the commanders who ordered the attack.
The statement, issued by Zomi's brother Mal on behalf of the Frankcom family, said family members were "deeply disappointed" by the decision, having spent the past two years waiting for justice while "hoping and calling for an independent criminal investigation".
"Zomi and her colleagues deserve more than an internal, opaque process that ends with a short statement by the Israeli military absolving their soldiers of criminal wrongdoing," they said.
Ms Frankcom was one of seven World Central Kitchen aid workers killed on April 1, 2024, while taking part in a convoy helping to deliver food and other supplies to northern Gaza.
The group was travelling in three armoured cars branded with the World Central Kitchen logo, and driving through part of the Gaza Strip that had been declared a "humanitarian fire control zone" while coordinating movements with the IDF (Israel Defense Forces).
An Israeli drone fired three missiles at the convoy — one at each of the cars in succession — as survivors of the initial strike attempted to move from one vehicle to another.
An Australian investigation into the Israeli government's response to the incident, led by retired defence chief Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin, found the deaths had been the result of the first vehicle being misidentified due to a number of factors, including the presence of armed security in the vicinity, confirmation bias and a "failure within the IDF to fully disseminate and/or read the detailed movement plan approved by the convoy".
The subsequent strikes were also found to be a breach of IDF procedures and the rules of engagement, echoing the findings of a rapid FFAM ("fact-finding and assessment mechanism") investigation conducted by the IDF in the days following the incident.
Two IDF officers were fired in the weeks after the strikes, while others were reprimanded.
In their statement released on Thursday evening, Ms Frankcom's family expressed disagreement with the finding that there was no wrongdoing involved that merited at least a criminal investigation, highlighting the follow-up strikes as well as the fact that one of the officers involved had reportedly signed a letter earlier that year calling for the flow of aid to Gaza to be restricted.
They also expressed outrage at the timing of the announcement, which came on World Humanitarian Day, an internationally recognised day dedicated to those who have died working for humanitarian causes.
The family had been standing alongside Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong at an event at Parliament House just hours prior to the announcement, launching a humanitarian award in Ms Frankcom's name.
Senator Wong similarly expressed anger at the announcement, saying she had no confidence in the IDF's findings, and calling in Israel's ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, to explain the decision.
Calling today's events a "difficult time" in diplomatic relations with Israel, she said she was informed of the IDF's decision just minutes before it was publicly announced, and did not have time to alert Ms Frankcom's family.
Alberta's separatist movement, fueled by economic grievances and a sense of underrepresentation, is set to face a referendum on October 19, with up to 30% of the population reportedly supporting independence, amidst warnings of Brexit-like turmoil and accusations of US influence.

Liberal frontbencher Andrew Hastie maintained a notable silence during federal parliament question time this week while facing political threats from Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Western Australia and pushing for a new AI committee.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will implement a gun buyback scheme, similar to NSW's, as part of a national effort to strengthen gun laws post-Bondi Beach terrorist attack. The Commonwealth will fund 75% of buyback and 100% of destruction costs.

The Plymouth Brethren Christian Church has denied allegations that it paid far-right influencers to target Anthony Albanese. The church also rejected claims it coordinated hundreds of volunteers to support Liberal candidates during the 2025 election campaign.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that a former ASIO agent, 'Marcus,' can testify at the Bondi royal commission remotely, as his evidence is now declassified. The agent, currently living abroad, seeks Australian resettlement due to safety concerns.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott announced plans for legal action against individuals he claims slandered him, following ICAC testimony regarding alleged political interference by property developer Jean Nassif.