AI-generated summary
Fans attending the 2026 FIFA World Cup will not be allowed to bring reusable water bottles into stadiums.
FIFA cited safety concerns for this last-minute change. This decision aligns with existing rules at some venues. Hydration will be available inside stadiums, with pricing consistent with other events. Host cities are implementing measures to manage heat for spectators.
Attendees at the 2026 FIFA World Cup will not be allowed to bring reusable water bottles into stadiums after the governing body introduced a last-minute change to its Stadium Code of Conduct, citing safety concerns.
FIFA had previously permitted fans to carry empty, transparent, reusable plastic bottles into venues. However, an updated code that came into effect on Tuesday now prohibits them, bringing the tournament's rules in line with restrictions already in place at several host stadiums.
Also Read: The FIFA World Cup transit test: Can trains and buses win over North America's car-loving fans?
The decision means reusable bottles join a list of prohibited items that includes bottles, cups, jars and cans, which are barred from venues due to the risk of being thrown and causing injury.
"FIFA is committed to protecting the health and safety of all players, referees, fans, volunteers, and staff," the organisation told Reuters in a statement. "FIFA made the decision to prohibit bottles to prevent risk and injury to players and attendees."
Live Events
"Outside bottles are already prohibited at several of these venues for safety considerations and FIFA is applying this consideration across its tournament stadiums."
The move has sparked concerns among supporters about access to drinking water during matches, particularly with temperatures at some venues expected to hover between 26 and 28 degrees Celsius during the tournament.
FIFA said host cities and local authorities are putting in place a range of measures to help spectators cope with the heat.
Also Read: From Erling Haaland to Luca Zidane: Sons of FIFA World Cup stars ready for their own moment
"FIFA works closely with each Host City Committee and local authorities on heat mitigation factors for fans traveling to the stadium, which can include resources such as misting stations, fans, hydration stations, cooling tents and more around the stadium footprint," the statement said.
The governing body also sought to reassure fans over the cost of staying hydrated during matches.
"Inside the stadium footprint, pricing for water bottles for the FIFA World Cup 2026 will remain consistent with other events held at each stadium."
The expanded 48-team World Cup, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, runs from June 11 to July 19. The tournament will feature 104 matches, up from 64 in previous editions, following the introduction of an additional knockout round.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand are India's last remaining representatives at the BWF World Championships. The women's doubles pair secured a bronze medal after a quarterfinal win and will face top seeds Liu Shengshu and Tan Ning in the semifinals.
Mitchell Starc took six wickets to bowl Bangladesh out for 64, but Shoriful Islam responded with a six-wicket haul of his own. Australia ended the day at 165-8, holding a 101-run lead in the second Test.
India head coach Gautam Gambhir rejects claims that the national Test team is struggling, attributing recent results to a transition period. Despite home series losses, Gambhir emphasizes his focus on winning trophies over rankings ahead of the second Test in Colombo.
Olympic medallist Leander Paes has applied for 'Sportspersons of Outstanding Merit' status to contest the All India Tennis Association (AITA) presidential election. The move follows new national sports governance rules, with elections expected in November.
Australian pacer Mitchell Starc claimed five wickets in the opening session of the second Test against Bangladesh in Mackay, surpassing Dale Steyn's career tally of 439 Test wickets. Australia reduced Bangladesh to 35-6 by lunch after winning the toss.
Former India coach Rahul Dravid has urged patience for 15-year-old cricketer Vaibhav Sooryavanshi, advocating for a balanced development pathway that prioritizes red-ball experience alongside his growing white-ball career.