
Emergency services struggle with building collapse as search operations continue in Graubünden
AI-generated summary
The fire occurred in a residential block in Thusis, Graubünden, housing a restaurant and apartments. The building was completely destroyed after a stairwell collapse hindered firefighting efforts.
Five people are missing after a huge fire tore through a residential block housing a restaurant and apartments in a Swiss Alpine town.
Eight others were injured in the blaze, which broke out in Thusis, a part of the eastern canton of Graubünden, which attracts visitors throughout the year for its Alpine scenery.
The fire broke out just after midnight, where emergency services were alerted at around 00:00 local time on Friday, according to the local police service.
The severity of the blaze saw almost 100 firefighters from various local networks rush to the scene.
Fourteen people managed to escape the burning building, the Graubünden Cantonal police said.
Two of those who escaped suffered serious injuries, while two others were moderately injured and a further four sustained minor injuries.
The injured were taken to hospitals in Chur, Thusis, Ilanz and Zurich.
Firefighters faced difficult conditions inside the building after the stairwell collapsed, with police stating that the building had been “completely destroyed” by the blaze.
The collapse of the stairwell made access to parts of the property more difficult as emergency crews worked to bring the fire under control.
Because of this, the roof of the block had to be opened using a crane to tackle the flames from above.
Specialist teams are working through the heavily damaged structure as the search continues for the missing.
Authorities have not said whether they believe those missing were inside the building when the fire broke out.
While initial findings indicate the blaze began on the second floor, investigators have not yet established what caused it.
Police and prosecutors have launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire.
In a separate incident late on Thursday morning a fire broke out in the kitchen of an apartment in a building in the northern city of Schaffhausen.
“Eleven people were injured, nine of whom have been taken to hospital,” local police said. They added that a police officer was among the injured.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Authorities will conduct a forensic investigation into the fire's cause.
Very likely · Within weeks

The trial of Lindsay Clancy, accused of killing her three children in 2023, nears its conclusion. Jurors must determine if she is guilty of murder or not criminally responsible due to postpartum psychosis, a central point of contention between defense and prosecution experts.
A 15-year-old boy has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after a stabbing in Terrigal, NSW. The victim, also 15, remains in critical condition at Gosford Hospital following the incident on Painters Lane.

The Metropolitan Police investigation into whether Lord Peter Mandelson shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein is stalling as US authorities have not yet provided access to critical unredacted files, despite formal requests for mutual legal assistance.

Five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash in County Kildare, Ireland, while allegedly filming reckless driving for social media. The incident has triggered national debate over police pursuit policies, youth social services, and the role of platforms like TikTok.

Karmelo Anthony, 19, is seeking a retrial for the 35-year sentence he received for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet. Defense attorneys argue Anthony was discouraged from testifying due to fears over damaging evidence.

An 18-year-old suspect is in custody after a sword attack at Brinellskola in Fagersta, Sweden, left one person dead and multiple others wounded. The school had recently reopened for the academic year.