David Warner fined AUD 1,500 and ordered to fit an interlock device after pleading guilty to mid-range drink-driving in Sydney.
Former Australia cricket opener David Warner was convicted of mid-range drink-driving by a Sydney court, receiving a AUD 1,500 fine and an interlock device requirement after being caught over the legal limit with children in his vehicle.
AI-generated summary
David Warner was caught in a random breath test on Easter Sunday, April 5, after attempting to switch seats with a passenger.
Former Australia opener David Warner has been convicted of mid-range drink-driving by a Sydney court and fined AUD 1,500, with the 39-year-old also required to have an interlock device fitted to his vehicle before he can drive again.
Warner pleaded guilty to the charge last month after he was caught in a random breath test on Easter Sunday, April 5. The former Test opener had stopped short of a roadside testing site and attempted to switch seats with a female passenger before police identified him as the driver. Warner subsequently cooperated with the testing and blew more than twice the legal alcohol limit. The incident has also cast doubt over his position as captain of Sydney Thunder ahead of the upcoming Big Bash League season. Thunder, along with Sydney Sixers and Sheffield Shield side NSW Blues, are part of a state government campaign aimed at discouraging drink-driving.
Warner's barrister, Awais Ahmad, argued that his client should be spared a conviction because the incident had already resulted in significant consequences, including widespread media coverage. Ahmad told Waverley Local Court that Warner's case had been reported by international outlets including ESPN and Al Jazeera. He also pointed to the potential impact on Warner's commercial opportunities, particularly in countries such as India and Bangladesh where he could seek opportunities in T20 franchise leagues. "The consequences of his offending are profound," Ahmad said. "Commercial opportunities (are) being affected." The lawyer also questioned why NSW Police had issued a press release about Warner's arrest, describing the subsequent coverage as excessive. "The media onslaught thereafter has been quite profound," he said. Warner was arrested while returning home from Pakistan, where he had captained Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League, before returning to resume his campaign.
Judge Clare Farnan acknowledged the impact of the publicity, saying there was evidence of cruel social media commentary directed at Warner and his wife Candice Warner.
However, she said deterrence remained paramount in deciding to convict Warner, particularly because children were in the vehicle at the time of the offence. "I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend," Farnan said. "(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW." The judge noted that more than 17,300 people had appeared before the court for mid-range drink-driving offences over the previous five years. Warner will be able to drive once he applies for an interlock licence and has the device fitted to his car. The technology prevents a vehicle from starting if it detects alcohol in the driver's system. Cricket NSW acknowledged the sentence and said it continued "to take the incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving".
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
David Warner will apply for an interlock licence and have the device fitted to his car.
Very likely · Within weeks
Zolani Tete, 38, former world champion boxer, shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa; a 27-year-old woman with him was also shot and hospitalized.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand's historic run at the BWF World Championships ended with a semifinal loss to China's Tan Ning and Liu Sheng Shu (21-18, 13-21, 8-21), but they secured India's first women's doubles bronze in 15 years.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand are India's last remaining representatives at the BWF World Championships. The women's doubles pair secured a bronze medal after a quarterfinal win and will face top seeds Liu Shengshu and Tan Ning in the semifinals.
Mitchell Starc took six wickets to bowl Bangladesh out for 64, but Shoriful Islam responded with a six-wicket haul of his own. Australia ended the day at 165-8, holding a 101-run lead in the second Test.
India head coach Gautam Gambhir rejects claims that the national Test team is struggling, attributing recent results to a transition period. Despite home series losses, Gambhir emphasizes his focus on winning trophies over rankings ahead of the second Test in Colombo.
Olympic medallist Leander Paes has applied for 'Sportspersons of Outstanding Merit' status to contest the All India Tennis Association (AITA) presidential election. The move follows new national sports governance rules, with elections expected in November.