
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed he tested positive for cocaine at a tournament in Mallorca in June, resulting in a provisional suspension by the International Tennis Integrity Agency.
AI-generated summary
Nick Kyrgios reached the Wimbledon singles final in 2022 and has struggled with injuries over the past two years.
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed on Wednesday he tested positive for cocaine and was provisionally suspended from tennis.
The 31-year-old Australian was beaten by Novak Djokovic in the 2022 singles final. He's now ranked 919th after a series of injuries. Kyrgios posted details of the case on social media.
“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote, citing a lower level tournament in June. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”
Cocaine is banned as a doping substance during competitions, with lower sanctions possible when used away from events.
Kyrgios said he had difficulties coming to terms with being near the end of his career after two years of injuries.
“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said.
Kyrgios got a wild card to play doubles at Wimbledon last month and lost in the first round with partner Alexander Bublik.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency will prosecute the case and said the player's sample was taken on 22 June and the positive test was confirmed on 17 July, after Kyrgios played at Wimbledon.
A mandatory provisional suspension was applied on 4 August and has not been appealed by Kyrgios, the ITIA added.

FIFA has issued suspensions to three Argentina players and coach Roberto Ayala following on-field altercations during the World Cup final against Spain. Leandro Paredes received a 10-match ban, while the Argentina football federation faces significant fines.

Qatar showcased the transformed Al Janoub Arena, a former 2022 FIFA World Cup stadium converted into an 8,200-seat basketball venue, exactly one year before hosting the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Doha.

Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that this year could be his final season as a professional footballer, following his recent marriage to Georgina Rodriguez and reflecting on his 25-year career.

FIFA has defended its president, Gianni Infantino, against an alleged campaign to undermine his leadership following a Daily Telegraph report regarding a past UEFA staff exit payment.

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is nearing a deal to acquire a stake in Liverpool FC as part of a consortium led by Amit Bhatia, valuing the Premier League club at £4.4 billion.

Lionel Messi published an emotional open letter on social media following the death of his father and agent, Jorge Messi, expressing deep grief and uncertainty regarding his playing future.