
Former 2022 FIFA World Cup football stadium converted into an 8,200-seat indoor basketball venue for the 2027 tournament.
Qatar showcased the transformed Al Janoub Arena, a former 2022 FIFA World Cup stadium converted into an 8,200-seat basketball venue, exactly one year before hosting the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Doha.
AI-generated summary
Qatar previously hosted the 2022 FIFA World Cup and is preparing to host the FIBA Basketball World Cup from August 27 to September 12, 2027.
Qatar is one year away from the FIBA Basketball World Cup, when 32 national teams and some of the sport’s biggest stars will compete in Doha.
The tournament, running from 27 August to 12 September 2027, will be the first edition hosted in the Middle East, with 92 games played across four arenas.
One of the most visible changes is taking place at a familiar venue from the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Al Janoub Stadium has been transformed into Al Janoub Arena, an 8,200-seat basketball venue that will host its first game next week.
From football pitch to basketball court
Designed by the late British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid, Al Janoub was one of eight stadiums used during the 2022 FIFA World Cup and hosted seven matches.
Its distinctive curves were inspired by the sails of traditional dhow boats and the country’s maritime history.
Four years later, the football pitch is gone and the stadium has been converted into a fully enclosed basketball arena.
Much of the original structure remains, including the main concourse and hospitality areas. New seating has been built around the court, the retractable roof has been enclosed, and a large video screen now hangs above centre court.
For organisers, the transformation shows how infrastructure built for the 2022 World Cup can be repurposed for other major sporting events.
“So this is the legacy that Qatar is always talking about,” Rouda Al Ghanim, Director of Communication for the Qatar 2027 Local Organising Committee, told Euronews.
“Turning some infrastructure and some facilities and venues from one tournament to another tournament and making use of that is sustainable. It's legacy for the country.”
From one World Cup to another
Al Janoub will be one of four venues used for the tournament, alongside Lusail Arena, Al Attiyah Arena and Duhail Arena.
For the first time, the FIBA Basketball World Cup will also be staged entirely within a single city, allowing fans to potentially attend more than one game in a day.
Organisers expect basketball to bring a different atmosphere to venues that have already staged some of Qatar’s biggest sporting events.
“The dynamic vibes that basketball carries with it, it's unique,” Al Ghanim said.
Al Janoub Arena will not have to wait long for its first competitive action.
Qatar hosts China next Thursday in an Asian qualifier, exactly one year before the Basketball World Cup begins.
The match will give organisers an early opportunity to test the arena and fan experience, with free admission for spectators.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Qatar will host China in an Asian qualifier match at Al Janoub Arena next Thursday.
Very likely · Within days

FIFA has issued suspensions to three Argentina players and coach Roberto Ayala following on-field altercations during the World Cup final against Spain. Leandro Paredes received a 10-match ban, while the Argentina football federation faces significant fines.

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed he tested positive for cocaine at a tournament in Mallorca in June, resulting in a provisional suspension by the International Tennis Integrity Agency.

Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that this year could be his final season as a professional footballer, following his recent marriage to Georgina Rodriguez and reflecting on his 25-year career.

FIFA has defended its president, Gianni Infantino, against an alleged campaign to undermine his leadership following a Daily Telegraph report regarding a past UEFA staff exit payment.

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is nearing a deal to acquire a stake in Liverpool FC as part of a consortium led by Amit Bhatia, valuing the Premier League club at £4.4 billion.

Lionel Messi published an emotional open letter on social media following the death of his father and agent, Jorge Messi, expressing deep grief and uncertainty regarding his playing future.