
Workers struck by limited express train while spraying herbicide at Shin-Kanuma Station, north of Tokyo.
AI-generated summary
Fatal train accidents are rare in Japan, which relies on a sprawling railway network.
Four workers in Japan have died after being struck by a train at Shin-Kanuma Station, north of Tokyo, authorities say.
The collision happened around 10:46 local time (01:46 GMT) Thursday while the workers were spraying herbicide, said Tobu Railway, the operator of the line.
Police are investigating if safety guidelines were followed when the accident happened, Tobu Railway officials told a press conference.
Train service was suspended on the Tobu Nikko Line due to the accident, according to Tobu Railway.
A passenger on the train told Japanese public broadcaster NHK that they heard a "strange noise" before the train made an emergency stop.
He said passengers were stuck on the train for a while as staff announced that they were investigating the noise.
Fatal train accidents are rare in Japan, which relies on a sprawling railway network.
The train involved in Thursday's incident was a limited express train, according to NHK. These are the second-fastest trains in Japan, after the Shinkansen or bullet train.
The fatalities, who were in their 50s and 60s, were among a team of ten working at the site on Thursday, railway officials said.
The team also included a supervisor and three lookouts tasked with alerting workers to incoming trains.
The lookouts generally use whistles and microphones to alert the workers, while waving a yellow flag at the train driver.
When asked repeatedly if anyone had been looking out for trains ahead of the accident, the officials did not give clear answers.
A Tobu Railway representative told the BBC earlier that the "usual lookout system was operating as normal".
"When a train approaches, a lookout waves a flag and, once the driver acknowledges it, sounds the horn," he said.
"We are currently investigating why the accident occurred despite this."
Tobu Railway general manager Takao Suzuki said the company offered "our deepest condolences to those who lost their lives and heartfelt apologies to their families".
"We also deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused to all those involved and to our customers," he said.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Police investigation into safety guideline compliance will continue
Very likely · Within weeks

Rescuers in Ukraine searched for survivors after a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike killed 16 people and injured 130 at a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih.

The Ashenda cultural and religious festival in Mekelle, Ethiopia, has been cancelled due to fears of drone attacks following recent deadly strikes in the Tigray region.

Six-year-old Saja El-Khawas has died in hospital three days after being rescued from the sea off Shoreham in West Sussex. Her death follows the fatal drowning of her 14-year-old sister and parents, with police treating the incident as a tragic accident.

The rift between Prince William and Prince Harry remains unresolved as the Duke of Sussex prepares for a UK visit. Despite public calls for reconciliation, sources suggest the Prince of Wales is unwilling to forgive, creating a persistent PR challenge for the monarchy.

The bodies of two Belgian men missing since 1992 were found on Switzerland's Trift Glacier. DNA analysis confirmed the identities of the mountaineers, who disappeared near Weissmies mountain. The discovery follows accelerated glacier melting due to climate change.

A civilian-contracted aircraft crashed near the Cape Newenham radar site in Alaska, killing all eight people on board. The flight originated in Anchorage and was bound for the remote military facility. An investigation into the cause of the crash is currently underway.