
Rescuers search for survivors after a deadly double-tap Russian drone strike hits a busy mall in Ukraine.
Rescuers in Ukraine searched for survivors after a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike killed 16 people and injured 130 at a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih.
AI-generated summary
A double-tap drone strike hit a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih during ongoing Russian attacks in Ukraine.
Rescuers in Ukraine worked through the night to search for survivors in the wreckage of a shopping centre hit by a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike.
Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured in the busy mall in Kryvyi Rih on Friday, local officials said. Nine people are reportedly still missing, including two children.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said the "cynical and despicable" attack was carried out in two waves, with the second strike targeting emergency workers at the scene.
Meanwhile, officials said at least two people had been killed by further Russian strikes overnight. The defence ministry in Moscow said it had targeted transport infrastructure and warehouses in the Kyiv region.
The death toll from Friday's attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said regional military head Oleksandr Hanzha.
Twenty-three children were among those injured in the shopping centre in the Dnipropetrovsk region, he added, 14 of whom were among dozens of survivors still in hospital as of Saturday morning.
"Twenty-three [people] are in serious and extremely serious conditions, including three children - two boys aged 10 and 16 and an 11-year-old girl," said Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the city's defence council.
"All have undergone surgery, doctors are providing them with all the necessary assistance."
Dramatic footage verified by the BBC showed the second drone hitting the already burning mall in Zelensky's hometown. Russia's military has not commented.
Vilkul said the drones had been flying at "extremely low altitudes", describing the attackers as "animals".
Rescue teams from seven other Ukrainian regions were urgently deployed to help search for survivors.

The Ashenda cultural and religious festival in Mekelle, Ethiopia, has been cancelled due to fears of drone attacks following recent deadly strikes in the Tigray region.

Six-year-old Saja El-Khawas has died in hospital three days after being rescued from the sea off Shoreham in West Sussex. Her death follows the fatal drowning of her 14-year-old sister and parents, with police treating the incident as a tragic accident.

The rift between Prince William and Prince Harry remains unresolved as the Duke of Sussex prepares for a UK visit. Despite public calls for reconciliation, sources suggest the Prince of Wales is unwilling to forgive, creating a persistent PR challenge for the monarchy.

The bodies of two Belgian men missing since 1992 were found on Switzerland's Trift Glacier. DNA analysis confirmed the identities of the mountaineers, who disappeared near Weissmies mountain. The discovery follows accelerated glacier melting due to climate change.

A civilian-contracted aircraft crashed near the Cape Newenham radar site in Alaska, killing all eight people on board. The flight originated in Anchorage and was bound for the remote military facility. An investigation into the cause of the crash is currently underway.

The body of missing 18-year-old Australian hiker Lily Hooper has been recovered in NSW bushland after an eight-day search, following an official miscommunication that initially falsely reported she was found alive.