
Court rules legislation infringed on freedom of expression due to lack of clear age-verification rules.
AI-generated summary
France's Constitutional Council ensures laws comply with the Constitution and reviews legislation passed by lawmakers.
France's highest constitutional authority on Friday struck down the ban on social media for children under 15.
The Constitutional Council ruled that the flagship policy of President Emmanuel Macron's second term infringed on freedom of expression.
"By prohibiting minors under the age of 15 from accessing certain online services, the law inherently requires every person, even an adult, to prove their age before accessing them," it said in its decision.
The Council is a review body that ensures laws comply with the Constitution.
French lawmakers last month approved legislation that barred children under 15 from opening social media accounts from September 1. Beyond that, platforms would have until the start of 2027 to close children's existing accounts.
The law would also have banned the use of mobile phones in high schools and required social media platforms to introduce age-verification measures in accordance with France's privacy regulator.
The Council, however, found lawmakers had failed to set out clear rules on how people should prove their age and what limits should apply, meaning there were not enough legal safeguards in place.
Macron has instructed Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu to revise the bill to address the Constitutional Council's concerns, the Elysee Palace said. It added the president wanted the reform in place before France's 2027 presidential election.
Social media bans for teens and children also considered elsewhere
Australia became the first country in the world to ban social media for under-16s in 2025. France was the first in Europe.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen last month pledged to pursue an EU-wide social media ban for children following a recommendation by an expert group to restrict access for under-13s.
"Our children need time in the real world. Time to play, time to build friendships, time to make mistakes. Time to shape their own identity, their own personality, before an algorithm shapes them instead," von der Leyen told reporters in Brussels.
"This is not about whether children can access social media. It is about whether and when social media can access our children," she said.
A number of other countries have announced plans to consider similar bans, including Brazil, the UK, Canada, Norway and Denmark.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu will revise the social media ban bill
Very likely · Within months

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.