
A major blow to President Emmanuel Macron, the court ruled the restrictions disproportionately infringe on minors' freedom of expression.
France's Constitutional Council rejected a bill seeking to ban social media access for under-15s, ruling it infringes on minors' freedom of expression and dealing a blow to President Emmanuel Macron.
AI-generated summary
The French bill sought to ban social media access for under-15s, serving as a flagship policy for President Emmanuel Macron.
A court in France on Friday shot down a bill seeking to ban access to social media for under-15s from September — a major blow to President Emmanuel Macron that raises fundamental questions about efforts to protect kids on the internet.
The Constitutional Council, which reviews the constitutionality of French legislation, said the restrictions in the bill disproportionately infringe on minors’ right to freedom of expression and communication.
Europe’s would-be first social media ban, which sought to prohibit access to anyone in France under the age of 15 from next month, had been a flagship policy of Macron's second and final term.
The French president has also pushed restrictions to the top of the EU agenda, with an expected announcement of bloc-wide measures by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in September.
In a statement late Friday, the French presidential office said the government would not be giving up on the bill. It has set a new target date for spring 2027, which coincides with when Macron will leave office.
The statement said Macron “has instructed the Prime Minister to work, as quickly as possible, on a legally sound draft that takes into account” the court's decision. The ruling hinted at what would make the age restriction align with fundamental rights: giving parents more flexibility.
Peter Craddock, a senior Brussels-based attorney advising social media firms, said the French court decision could have far-reaching implications.
"What they're basically saying here is: 'Listen, government, if you want to get this to succeed, you can't just work on the basis of a general ban. There have to be limitations," said Craddock, a partner at Keller & Heckman. "There have to be ways for people to say, 'well, actually, in my case, my son, my daughter is of a certain degree of maturity and is able to use this properly.'"
The government bill had passed through the French legislative procedure after a lengthy back-and-forth earlier this summer. It was set to bring forward Europe's first social media age restrictions, with Greece and Denmark planning to follow suit.
But Article 1 of the French bill essentially rendered it a blanket ban, without sufficiently distinguishing between the risks of each social media platform or the varying levels of vulnerability among minors themselves, said the court. The ban would also apply to online platforms that have not been proven to have risks to the health and safety of minors.
Craddock warned the court's judgment may not bode well for other national bans or restrictions coming from the European Commission, since the decision is framed around fundamental rights, which are harmonized across the bloc.
"The reasoning is actually equally relevant internationally, throughout the EU, because this fundamental freedom is not specific to France," he said.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Government to work on a new draft taking into account the court decision targeting spring 2027.
Very likely · Within months

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

The UK, Australia, Canada, and Poland condemned Israel's decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 airstrike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza.

Conservative German mayor Bernd Prange donated €10,000 to the far-right AfD and urged voters to back them in an upcoming Saxony-Anhalt election, creating a political dilemma for CDU leaders defending their firewall against the far right.

The UN Security Council is set to conduct a second straw poll to evaluate candidates for the next Secretary-General. With António Guterres' term ending December 31, members are assessing support for contenders from Latin America and Africa amidst potential veto power influence.

Japan has formally protested Russia's missile tests conducted near the disputed Northern Territories. The drills, involving the Pacific Fleet, follow President Vladimir Putin's recent visit to the islands, further straining bilateral relations amid the Ukraine war.