
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and other officials strongly denounce Itamar Ben-Gvir's call for targeted killings and settlement expansion.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and government officials condemned Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir's call for targeted killings in Gaza, with calls growing for EU sanctions.
AI-generated summary
Itamar Ben-Gvir has previously drawn attention for calls for violence against Palestinians, and several countries have already imposed entry bans on him.
"I think that targeted killings should be carried out in Gaza," said Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's national security minister, on Monday, sparking worldwide outrage.
The hard-liner in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Cabinet also described exactly what he had in mind: Every night, 30 or 40 Palestinians should be "removed." Ben-Gvir emphasized that he was not only referring to militant Palestinians who posed an immediate threat, adding that there are people in the Gaza Strip who do not deserve to live.
On Wednesday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz denounced the statement made by the controversial Israeli politician. "The chancellor strongly condemns Minister Ben-Gvir's inhumane statements, which violate international law — they are unacceptable," said a government spokesperson in Berlin. Merz is officially on vacation.
The spokesperson also criticized Israel's plans to further accelerate settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank. Merz is following the latest developments "with great concern."
The spokesperson said there must be no further steps toward annexation, adding: "As the occupying power, Israel must treat Palestinians with dignity, protect their property and ensure public administration and humanitarian aid."
Vice Chancellor Klingbeil: 'A line has truly been crossed'
Merz's deputy from the center-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), Finance Minister Lars Klingbeil, had already called for consequences on Tuesday.
"These are statements that we, as the federal government, cannot accept in any way," he told the private TV station Sat1. Klingbeil said that sanctions are being discussed at the European level, adding: "This must now be looked at very seriously." Despite all its solidarity with the state of Israel, Germany must not remain silent, he stressed. A line has now "truly been crossed."
Hildegard Bentele, a German member of the European Parliament from the conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU), also supports sanctions against Ben-Gvir, telling DW on Tuesday that she had been calling for them for a year.
"Eliminating individuals is unacceptable to us in Europe," she emphasized.
Many countries have imposed entry bans on Ben-Gvir
Several countries have already imposed entry bans on Ben-Gvir, including Australia, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Norway and the Netherlands.
Jürgen Hardt, the foreign policy spokesperson for the conservative parliamentary group in Germany's lower house of parliament, the Bundestag, also supports the call for European Union sanctions against Ben-Gvir.
"The EU should sanction him as a statement on the universal validity of human dignity and human rights," Hardt told the news magazine Politico. Hardt said he is convinced that an Israeli Cabinet without Ben-Gvir would bring Europe and Israel closer together again.
Calls for sanctions and a halt to arms exports to Israel
The environmentalist Green Party, an opposition party in the German parliament, has also demanded harsh consequences.
"I urge the federal government to impose an entry ban on this man and to advocate for similar sanctions to be imposed at the European level as well," Green Party leader Franziska Brantner told Politico.
This is not the first time Ben-Gvir has drawn attention for his appalling calls for violence against Palestinians, Brantner emphasized. She also called for Germany to follow the example of other countries and impose sanctions: "It's time for Germany to join these nations."
Lea Reisner, a politician from the socialist Left Party, went further on Deutschlandfunk public radio, calling for a halt to all German arms exports to Israel.
Josef Schuster: Ben-Gvir's comments 'deeply shameful and irresponsible'
Germany's Central Council of Jews in Germany also reacted with horror to Ben-Gvir's call for mass killings of Palestinians. The president of the Central Council, Josef Schuster, told the Catholic News Agency that Ben-Gvir's statements were diametrically opposed to Jewish values and damage Israel's reputation.
"Itamar Ben-Gvir's behavior is deeply shameful and irresponsible," said Schuster, adding that it illustrates the danger posed by far-right forces.
Kirsten Fehrs, chair of the Council of the Protestant Church in Germany, described Ben-Gvir's statements on the social media platform Threads as an "attack on humanity." The bishop stressed that there must be a shared conviction across religions that every human being possesses inalienable dignity because they are made in God's image.
"No one can bestow this dignity, and no one can take it away," she said.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
EU-level sanctions on Ben-Gvir will be further discussed.
Likely · Within weeks

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.