
Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million to settle claims after a former morgue manager stole and sold donated body parts for medical research.
AI-generated summary
Cedric Lodge managed the morgue at Harvard Medical School until his dismissal in 2023 for trafficking stolen human remains.
Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million (€45.5 million) to settle claims linked to a former morgue manager who stole and sold body parts donated for medical research, with a Boston court reportedly approving the settlement on Tuesday.
Cedric Lodge, who managed the morgue at Harvard Medical School until he was dismissed in 2023, was sentenced to eight years in prison in December after pleading guilty to trafficking stolen human remains.
Harvard said on Monday it would seek court approval to establish “two class action settlement funds totaling $53 million.”
"We are grateful to be working together with the plaintiffs to move forward in a way that prioritizes support for families and the (organ donation program) and avoids prolonged litigation," said Harvard Medical School Dean George Daley and Dean for Medical Education Bernard Chang in a joint letter.
They described Lodge’s actions as “despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community.”
Investigators found that Lodge and his wife had been removing body parts from the school since 2018 “without the knowledge or permission of his employer, the donor, or the donor’s family” before sending them to buyers in other states.
Lodge’s wife, Denise, was previously sentenced to one year in prison, while six others who bought human remains from him pleaded guilty and were also sentenced.
Harvard Medical School said it would establish an annual financial aid scholarship from the 2027-28 academic year “in appreciation and in honor of all of our anatomical donors.”
Under the settlement plan, the school will also provide affected families with a statement condemning Lodge’s crimes and outline changes made to its anatomical donation programme.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Harvard will establish an annual financial aid scholarship from the 2027-28 academic year.
Very likely · Within months

TikTok has agreed to a $400 million settlement with the US Department of Justice to resolve allegations that the platform violated children's privacy laws by collecting data from users under 13 without parental permission.

The US Supreme Court has declined to hear President Donald Trump's appeal to overturn an $83 million defamation verdict awarded to writer E. Jean Carroll, marking the second time the court has rejected his request regarding the case.

Luigi Mangione's state murder trial for killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson has been postponed indefinitely as lawyers seek dismissal on double jeopardy grounds following his federal guilty plea.

A New Mexico judge has ordered Meta to pay $567 million for creating a 'public nuisance' by endangering children on its platforms, with 75% of the fund allocated to mental health treatment over five years.

US President Donald Trump and the Justice Department are appealing to the Supreme Court to overturn an $83 million defamation verdict awarded to writer E. Jean Carroll, who accused Trump of sexual assault in 1996. Trump claims presidential immunity and protection under the Westfall Act for statements made during his presidency.

Switzerland's competition watchdog, WEKO, has launched a preliminary investigation into Google for removing the Android 'Choice Screen' feature, which allowed users to select a default search engine. This move tests the assumption that EU digital rules would apply in Switzerland despite its non-EU/EEA status.