
Defence lawyers seek to dismiss state charges following his guilty plea to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.
Luigi Mangione's state murder trial for killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson has been postponed indefinitely as lawyers seek dismissal on double jeopardy grounds following his federal guilty plea.
AI-generated summary
Luigi Mangione pleaded guilty in federal court to stalking charges related to the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in 2024.
Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, originally slated to begin 8 September, has been postponed indefinitely as his lawyers seek to have the case thrown out on double jeopardy grounds following his guilty plea last week to federal charges.
The judge presiding over the case, Gregory Carro, issued an order on Monday canceling the trial and giving the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which is prosecuting the state case, until 9 October to respond to the defence's double jeopardy claims.
A hearing will be held on 10 December, Carro said, about a week before Mangione is scheduled to be sentenced in the federal case.
Mangione, 28, pleaded guilty on Friday in Manhattan federal court to a pair of stalking charges and admitted trailing Thompson to UnitedHealth Group’s investor conference and gunning him down outside a Manhattan hotel in 2024.
Federal prosecutors said they would seek life in prison when Mangione is sentenced on 18 December, though federal sentencing guidelines call for a term of 24 to 30 years. “On the morning of 4 December, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” Mangione said.
Immediately after his plea, Mangione’s lawyers filed paperwork seeking to have the state case thrown out on double jeopardy and due process grounds.
They described him as a “pawn in parallel prosecutions" and accused state and federal prosecutors of “trying to punish him twice for the exact conduct.” Mangione has pleaded not guilty in the state case, which also carries the possibility of a life sentence.
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office said in a statement that it would fight efforts to end the state case, in part because Mangione’s federal sentence isn’t yet known.
Compared with federal law and that of other states, New York has uncommonly strong protections for defendants facing multiple prosecutions. A state prosecution can be barred if a federal case involving the same course of conduct or criminal transaction ends in a guilty plea or if a jury is sworn.
It will be up to Judge Carro to decide if that applies to Mangione. However Carro rules, his decision will be subject to appeal.
Mangione pleaded guilty to federal charges that accused him of traveling across state lines by bus to stalk and kill Thompson. The charges alleged that he used a cell phone, the internet, interstate highways and a hostel serving out-of-state customers to plan and carry out the attack.
“The full range of conduct that comprises the stalking offence is coterminous with the conduct committed as part of the murder offense,” Mangione’s lawyers wrote in their double jeopardy filing.
That Mangione travelled from out of state "to be at the crime scene at the time of the shooting does nothing to eliminate the stalking of Mr. Thompson from the acts constituting his murder,” they added. “They are all part of the same criminal incident or criminal transaction.”
Bragg’s office contends that the state charges, including murder and firearms offences, involve different legal elements and criminal conduct. In a letter last month, Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann objected to the possibility of a federal guilty plea wiping out the state case.
Any guilty plea, Seidemann wrote, “must account for the seriousness of defendant’s offenses” and for the state's interests in prosecuting Mangione, “including the sanctity of life principle that underpins the state homicide charges.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Manhattan DA's office to respond to defence's double jeopardy claims
Very likely · Within weeks
Hearing to be held on double jeopardy claims
Very likely · Within months

TikTok has agreed to a $400 million settlement with the US Department of Justice to resolve allegations that the platform violated children's privacy laws by collecting data from users under 13 without parental permission.

Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million to settle claims after a former morgue manager stole and sold donated body parts for medical research.

The US Supreme Court has declined to hear President Donald Trump's appeal to overturn an $83 million defamation verdict awarded to writer E. Jean Carroll, marking the second time the court has rejected his request regarding the case.

A New Mexico judge has ordered Meta to pay $567 million for creating a 'public nuisance' by endangering children on its platforms, with 75% of the fund allocated to mental health treatment over five years.

US President Donald Trump and the Justice Department are appealing to the Supreme Court to overturn an $83 million defamation verdict awarded to writer E. Jean Carroll, who accused Trump of sexual assault in 1996. Trump claims presidential immunity and protection under the Westfall Act for statements made during his presidency.

Switzerland's competition watchdog, WEKO, has launched a preliminary investigation into Google for removing the Android 'Choice Screen' feature, which allowed users to select a default search engine. This move tests the assumption that EU digital rules would apply in Switzerland despite its non-EU/EEA status.