
Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf demands US concessions as an unidentified projectile damages a ship in the crucial waterway.
AI-generated summary
Tehran's forces effectively closed the strait after Israel and the US attacked Iran on 28 February.
Iran's top negotiator said the Strait of Hormuz would not open until the US lifted its naval blockade and released frozen Iranian assets, as a ship was hit by a projectile in the strait with a crew member reported as a casualty.
Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the crucial waterway will remain shut to cargo traffic until Washington meets Tehran's demands.
"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state-run TV.
He listed the end to the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among Tehran's demands.
Meanwhile, an unidentified projectile damaged the engine room of a ship and “resulted in a crew casualty” early Tuesday morning as the vessel was trying to transit the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Oman, the UKMTO said, citing a report from the company's security office.
The maritime monitoring agency did not release any details about the ship or its cargo, and it was not clear whether the crew member was killed in the attack or wounded.
It said the Omani Coast Guard was assisting other crew members and that authorities were investigating.
There has been growing concern about oil spilling into the Persian Gulf and other area waters from vessels damaged as they have attempted to transit the strait, but the UKMTO said no environmental damage had been reported in the latest attack.
Tehran's forces effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked Iran on 28 February.
The US is also currently blockading all Iranian shipping traffic through the strait.
With negotiations between the two sides at war stalled, Tehran has been holding separate talks with Oman on a plan to manage ships transiting the strait, and said Monday it was finalising details for a joint statement.
US President Donald Trump reacted angrily, reportedly telling Fox News in a telephone interview that the US would bomb "the s*** out of" Oman if it “gets in the way”.
Trump also provoked a fiery response from Tehran after he said last Friday that he would soon be declaring the strait "a territory of the United States".
Responding to the comments in a post on X, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said that "the Strait of Hormuz has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian."
"This strait will only be closed and opened under Iran's command, and as long as you do not accept the reality of defeat and cease your fanciful delusions, Iran will continue to enforce the blockade," Gharibabadi added.
The Strait of Hormuz is roughly 35 kilometres wide at its narrowest, meaning both Iran and Oman operate the waterway.
Muscat has maintained diplomatic relations with both Iran and the US throughout the war as a neutral mediator.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Iran will continue to enforce the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.
Very likely · Within weeks

Nearly two years after the fall of Bashar al-Assad, millions of Syrians who returned home face severe economic challenges, including high costs of living, destroyed infrastructure, and bureaucratic obstacles, leading some to regret their return.

The Muslim World League launched an initiative in Abuja, Nigeria, uniting Muslim and Christian leaders to counter extremist discourse in West Africa through interfaith cooperation agreements and the Abuja Declaration.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian called for an end to the ongoing war with the United States, asserting that Tehran is currently in a position of strength and dignity.

The Mexican Navy rescued two fishermen who drifted in the Pacific Ocean on a cooler box for five days after losing contact while fishing off the coast of Chiapas.

Mauritanian coastguards rescued 315 migrants, including 40 children, from an overloaded, drifting wooden boat off the coast of Nouadhibou. The passengers were primarily from Senegal and The Gambia, attempting the Atlantic route toward the Canary Islands.

Twenty migrants deported from the United States arrived in Liberia on Thursday. The country has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals from the US over the next year under a new humanitarian partnership.