
The decision follows a federal judge's ruling in May that ordered Donald Trump's name to be removed from the building.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts board voted to add Donald Trump's name to the facade and proceed with a two-year closure, drawing sharp criticism from Democratic lawmakers and bypassing a prior court ruling.
AI-generated summary
A federal judge previously ruled that only Congress can alter the Kennedy Center's name or authorize major alterations.
The board of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts voted Thursday to add President Donald Trump's name to the building's facade, according to US Congresswoman Joyce Beatty.
The board also voted to proceed with a two-year closure of the performing arts venue in the US capital, Washington, D.C., for major renovations.
The decision comes after a federal judge in May ordered Trump's name to be removed from the building, ruling that only Congress can change the institution's name or authorize major alterations.
"This latest development is a transparent effort to circumvent the Court's ruling, and flies in the face of the statutes that Congress passed," Beatty, a Democrat who is also an ex-officio board member, said in a statement. "I will continue to fight for this treasured national monument."
The latest vote revives a dispute that has been unfolding since Trump reshaped the center's leadership after returning to office.
Why was Trump's name on the building in the first place?
Trump became interested in the Kennedy Center's operations after winning the 2024 election. He installed a mostly handpicked board that named him chairman, and his name was added to the building's facade in December.
The move was part of a broader effort to overhaul the institution. At the time, the president also announced a two-year closure of the performing arts venue for renovations that were scheduled to begin in July.
That decision soon faced a legal challenge. In May, Judge Christopher Cooper said, "the Kennedy Center's organic statute makes crystal clear that the Center is to be named for President Kennedy, and it cannot bear any other formal name or public memorial based on the Board's unilateral say-so."
The Kennedy Center dispute became one of several obstacles to Trump's broader efforts to remake prominent Washington landmarks. An appeals court last week halted his planned White House ballroom after he demolished the East Wing.
His Reflecting Pool renovation also faced major problems, though he still plans to build a massive Memorial Arch.
How has the Kennedy Center board justified the move?
"In its meeting today, the board voted to change the front of the building's facade to read 'The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated By President Donald J. Trump,' and renamed the physical site 'the President Donald J. Trump Plaza,'" Congresswoman Beatty said.
According to The New York Times, an inscription underneath the institution's name would read: "Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump."
The newspaper said the wording appears intended to avoid a provision in the federal law governing the Kennedy Center that states "no additional memorials or plaques in the nature of memorials shall be designated or installed in the public areas."
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Legal challenges against the board's renaming decision
Likely · Within weeks

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.