Three men linked to the Comancheros travelled to Brisbane and allegedly confronted a CFMEU delegate at a government project site.
An inquiry heard that three Melbourne men linked to the Comancheros bikie gang flew to Brisbane and allegedly threatened a crane operator at the Centenary Bridge upgrade site.
AI-generated summary
An ongoing inquiry is investigating the CFMEU and construction sector practices.
Three Melbourne men linked to the Comancheros bikie gang flew to Brisbane before one allegedly threatened a construction worker at a major government project, a commission of inquiry has heard.
Flight and phone records tendered to the probe into the CFMEU and construction sector revealed Bemir Saracevic, Krstomir Bjelogrlic and Mark Ahern arrived in Brisbane at around 11.20am on June 5, 2024.
Senior Counsel Assisting Eddy Gisonda KC told the inquiry the trio travelled to the Centenary Bridge upgrade site, where a crane operator said he was confronted around 12.30pm.
Mr Saracevic, known as Benji, was the former national president of the Comancheros, while Mr Bjelogrlic was his business partner. Mr Ahern was a former treasurer of the gang.
Mr Gisonda said Gary Samuel, who ran security operator HOST at the construction site, had been on the phone and texting throughout the morning with senior management from contractor BMD, as well as Mr Saracevic.
Mr Samuel's phone also pinged near Brisbane Airport at about 11.50am.
"That's about the same time the three men are pinging data at the Brisbane Airport," he said.
"Do you want me to infer Mr Samuel picked those three men up and drove them to Centenary Bridge site," Commissioner Stuart Wood asked Mr Gisonda.
"Yes," he said in response.
BMD had hired HOST to provide security on the site after ongoing CFMEU campaigns disrupted work on the project, the inquiry heard.
The crane operator on June 5, 2024 was Cody Raymond, a CFMEU delegate.
He is yet to give evidence to the inquiry, but in a workplace interview conducted eight days after the confrontation was tendered in evidence today.
Mr Raymond said he had been working in the crane when he noticed a group of four men "using strong hand gestures" near his colleague.
He said one of the men asked him "why the f*** are you threatening my men?"
"The man in the black shirt was attempting to be verbally intimidating. His questions were about an altercation I had with his acquaintance," he said.
That acquaintance, Mr Raymond alleges, was Gary Samuel.
Mr Raymond said the incident became more aggressive, with the man then saying "do you know who the f*** I am…. Benji, from the Commos".
"He responded with 'I'll f***en burn your house down c*** and kill your kids' brother … I f***en know where you live brother."
Mr Raymond said the incident did not make sense to him.
BMD General Manager Rob Pickard denied any knowledge of the incident prior to it happening.
He also denied Mr Samuel had told him the three Melbourne men were travelling to Brisbane to visit the project.
"[Mr Raymond] approached me [after the incident] and made a comment similar to what he said here, that he had just been accosted by a member of an outlaw motorcycle group," Mr Pickard told the inquiry.
"I said, hang on a minute, what are you talking about. He then went on to explain it a little bit more. I said we'd look into that."
Mr Pickard said he couldn't remember what he discussed with Mr Samuel in an early-morning phone call that day, nor could he recall seeing Mr Samuel at BMD's head office later that morning, before Mr Samuel travelled towards Brisbane Airport and then returned to the Centenary Bridge site.
Mr Pickard also denied signalling to traffic controllers and pointing at the bikie gang members when he was on site around the time of the incident.
CCTV showed to the inquiry placed Mr Pickard in the vicinity, with evidence suggesting he and another BMD manager walked ahead of the four men shortly before the confrontation.
Mr Pickard denied knowing what was about to occur or hearing the alleged threats.
The ABC is not alleging Mr Pickard has done anything wrong.
The inquiry continues in Brisbane tomorrow, with other senior leaders from BMD expected to give evidence.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Other senior leaders from BMD are expected to give evidence at the inquiry.
Very likely · Within days
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.