Breaking
TRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueRULavrov: The West is inciting Zelensky against Russia, sanctioning methods of causing harm to citizensTRUS Ambassador Barrack: 'Israelis Provoked the Turks'CRYPTO-ENBitcoin Nears $80,000 as Weekend Tests Native Market StrengthINTLNASA Abandons Rescue Mission for Aging Swift Space ObservatoryITINPS launches new welfare model: 'Autonomy and Prevention'AUMundi Mundi Bash Festival Opens Gates Free After Rain ChaosJPThe ritual of switching from "work time" to "me time" for top executivesTRGerman Super Cup: Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich Match AnalysisPLBathing is prohibited at several sea bathing areas in the province. West Pomeranian and PomeranianTRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueRULavrov: The West is inciting Zelensky against Russia, sanctioning methods of causing harm to citizensTRUS Ambassador Barrack: 'Israelis Provoked the Turks'CRYPTO-ENBitcoin Nears $80,000 as Weekend Tests Native Market StrengthINTLNASA Abandons Rescue Mission for Aging Swift Space ObservatoryITINPS launches new welfare model: 'Autonomy and Prevention'AUMundi Mundi Bash Festival Opens Gates Free After Rain ChaosJPThe ritual of switching from "work time" to "me time" for top executivesTRGerman Super Cup: Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich Match AnalysisPLBathing is prohibited at several sea bathing areas in the province. West Pomeranian and Pomeranian
NewsgatherNewsgather
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience
Sign In
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScienceHealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace
NewsgatherNewsgather

Real-time global news intelligence. Curated by humans, powered by data.

Sections

All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience

More

HealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace

Company

AboutEditorial StandardsAdvertisingCareersPressContact

©️ 2026 Newsgather. A product by All Software 24. All rights reserved.

Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyImprintTerms of UseContent and Editorial PolicyRemoval RequestAdvertising PolicyContact
Back|Munich prosecutors identify suspect in 1970 deadly arson attack on Jewish home
Munich prosecutors identify suspect in 1970 deadly arson attack on Jewish home
NEWS
Deutsche Welle·2 days ago·Crime·3 min read

Munich prosecutors identify suspect in 1970 deadly arson attack on Jewish home

The investigation into the 1970 fire that killed seven Holocaust survivors is being closed as the primary suspect died in 2020.

Quick Look

  • Munich prosecutors have identified a suspect in the 1970 arson attack on a Jewish retirement home that killed seven Holocaust survivors.
  • The case, reopened in 2025 following new witness testimony, is now being closed as the suspect died in 2020.

AI-generated summary

Why It Matters

On February 13, 1970, a fire at a Jewish religious community center in Munich killed seven Holocaust survivors. The case was previously halted in 2017 before being reopened in April 2025.

Font size

Munich's Public Prosecutor's Office believes it has solved one of the worst antisemitic attacks in post-war German history.

Police and prosecutors said on Thursday that new investigations point "clearly" towards the involvement of a man who died in 2020.

Additional information came to light after his death which led to the case being reopened in April 2025.

Now, with investigators satisfied that the culprit is identified — but with no scope to prosecute the deceased and no known indications of accomplices — they are closing the file once again.

What is the case about?

On February 13, 1970, a fire broke out at the Jewish religious community for Munich and Upper Bavaria, in the area incorporating its retirement home, killing seven people.

All of them had survived the Holocaust and two were inmates in Nazi German concentration camps.

Prosecutors said the fire was set using a "gasoline mixture" that was sprinkled and lit in several different places in a stairwell, hoping to ensure that it spread.

Another 15 people were wounded in the fire, four of them seriously. The building in central Munich sustained severe damages, particularly on the upper levels as a result of the stack effect channeling the flames up the stairwell.

What led investigators to reopen the file?

Investigations were originally halted in 2017, almost 50 years after the suspected homicides.

Prosecutors and Munich's police precinct explained what led them to reopening the case in Thursday's joint statement.

"A witness provided credible information on the suspect," they said. "She said that the suspect had been in close contact with one of her close relatives in the 1970s. Shortly after the death of this relative, she revealed her knowledge on the matter."

Authorities reviewed old files and also interviewed contacts of the suspect in the renewed investigation.

What did investigators say about the suspect?

Prosecutors did not identify the suspect, and stressed that posthumous prosecution was not possible in Germany and that the presumption of innocence still applied in death.

They identified him as a man who died in 2020 and who was 25 years old at the time of the attack. He was regularly in the area of the religious center on Reichenbachstrasse at the time, they said.

On the evening of the fire, investigators said he was alleged to have complained that "the Jews have everything" while standing in sight of the old people's home and to have expressed a desire to set them alight. Within a quarter of an hour, the building was ablaze, prosecutors said.

"These allegations are based on credible statements from the witness, who in turn was relaying what her deceased relative told her," the prosecutor's office said. "Additional relatives confirmed these statements."

What did prior background investigations reveal?

Prosecutors also said that background investigations further solidified their suspicions.

The suspect was a known member of the far-right community in Munich at the time, with witnesses describing him as an antisemite with a "Hitler obsession."

In his youth he had listened to Hitler speeches on records. He practiced shooting near Adolf Hitler's Berghof holiday home in the Bavarian Alps, the site of multiple antisemitic crimes against humanity in the Nazi era.

He had a history of using explosives and a juvenile conviction for blowing up two telephone booths in the 1960s. A headteacher also recalled a violent incident from his youth when he pulled a Hitler youth dagger which he said was a gift from his father.

Prosecutors said it was not possible to say whether the suspect acted alone or in a group with certainty, but also said the investigations had not found any indications of accomplices.

"All in all, the new investigations conducted after the reopening of the case speak clearly for the suspect's involvement," prosecutors concluded, albeit with it no longer being possible to try the case in a court of law.

Open Questions

  • ?Were there any unindicted accomplices involved in the attack?

Related Topics

People
Organizations
Places
Topics
This article was originally published by Deutsche Welle.

Quick Look

  • Munich prosecutors have identified a suspect in the 1970 arson attack on a Jewish retirement home that killed seven Holocaust survivors.
  • The case, reopened in 2025 following new witness testimony, is now being closed as the suspect died in 2020.

AI-generated summary

Story signals

News tone
Sensitive
Emotional intensity
High
News value
High
Follow-up likelihood
Unlikely
Relevance window
Days

Source & Reliability

Source
Deutsche Welle
Story type
Hard news
Source quality
Full
Published
2 days ago
Last updated
2 days ago

Related Stories

More on this topic
Trial of Lindsay Clancy: Defense and Prosecution Clash Over Postpartum Psychosis Defense
Developing·6 hours ago

Trial of Lindsay Clancy: Defense and Prosecution Clash Over Postpartum Psychosis Defense

The trial of Lindsay Clancy, accused of killing her three children in 2023, nears its conclusion. Jurors must determine if she is guilty of murder or not criminally responsible due to postpartum psychosis, a central point of contention between defense and prosecution experts.

Guardian International
5 min read
Teenager charged following stabbing in Terrigal
Crime·7 hours ago

Teenager charged following stabbing in Terrigal

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after a stabbing in Terrigal, NSW. The victim, also 15, remains in critical condition at Gosford Hospital following the incident on Painters Lane.

The Independent World
1 min read
Concerns mount over stalled police probe into Lord Mandelson and Jeffrey Epstein
Developing·7 hours ago

Concerns mount over stalled police probe into Lord Mandelson and Jeffrey Epstein

The Metropolitan Police investigation into whether Lord Peter Mandelson shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein is stalling as US authorities have not yet provided access to critical unredacted files, despite formal requests for mutual legal assistance.

The Independent World
2 min read
Reckless driving videos on social media spark outrage in Ireland after fatal crash
Crime·7 hours ago

Reckless driving videos on social media spark outrage in Ireland after fatal crash

Five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash in County Kildare, Ireland, while allegedly filming reckless driving for social media. The incident has triggered national debate over police pursuit policies, youth social services, and the role of platforms like TikTok.

Guardian International
4 min read
Karmelo Anthony seeks new trial in high school track meet stabbing case
Developing·8 hours ago

Karmelo Anthony seeks new trial in high school track meet stabbing case

Karmelo Anthony, 19, is seeking a retrial for the 35-year sentence he received for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet. Defense attorneys argue Anthony was discouraged from testifying due to fears over damaging evidence.

The Independent World
3 min read
One dead, multiple wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
BREAKING·8 hours ago

One dead, multiple wounded in sword attack at Swedish school

An 18-year-old suspect is in custody after a sword attack at Brinellskola in Fagersta, Sweden, left one person dead and multiple others wounded. The school had recently reopened for the academic year.

Deutsche Welle
2 min read
More on this topic
munich
antisemitism
arson
munich
Zac Crellin
Munich Public Prosecutor's Office
Munich Police
Munich
Upper Bavaria
Reichenbachstrasse
Berghof
antisemitism
arson
holocaust survivors
cold case
far-right
munich
munich