Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios reveals positive cocaine test from June, accepts responsibility, and is provisionally suspended by the ITIA amid mental health and injury struggles.
AI-generated summary
Nick Kyrgios, a prominent Australian tennis player, has faced a decline in rankings due to injuries.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia has revealed that he tested positive for cocaine and has been provisionally suspended from tennis. The Australian, who reached the Wimbledon final in 2022 before losing to Novak Djokovic, shared details of the case on social media. Kyrgios accepts responsibility for the positive test, which came from a lower-level tournament in Mallorca in June. "I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine," he wrote on his Instagram wall, citing a lower level tournament in June. "I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it." Cocaine is banned as a doping substance during competitions, although penalties can be lower if it is used outside competition. Kyrgios also spoke about the mental and emotional struggles he has faced as injuries have affected the later part of his career. He has fallen to 919th in the world rankings after two years of injury problems. "At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did," he said. Kyrgios returned to Wimbledon last month after receiving a wild card to play doubles alongside Alexander Bublik, but the pair lost in the first round. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22, and the positive result was confirmed on July 17, after he had already competed at Wimbledon. The ITIA said a mandatory provisional suspension was imposed on August 4. Kyrgios has not appealed the suspension, and the agency will now handle the case.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The ITIA will impose a suspension lasting several months.
Likely · Within weeks
Zolani Tete, 38, former world champion boxer, shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa; a 27-year-old woman with him was also shot and hospitalized.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand's historic run at the BWF World Championships ended with a semifinal loss to China's Tan Ning and Liu Sheng Shu (21-18, 13-21, 8-21), but they secured India's first women's doubles bronze in 15 years.
Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand are India's last remaining representatives at the BWF World Championships. The women's doubles pair secured a bronze medal after a quarterfinal win and will face top seeds Liu Shengshu and Tan Ning in the semifinals.
Mitchell Starc took six wickets to bowl Bangladesh out for 64, but Shoriful Islam responded with a six-wicket haul of his own. Australia ended the day at 165-8, holding a 101-run lead in the second Test.
India head coach Gautam Gambhir rejects claims that the national Test team is struggling, attributing recent results to a transition period. Despite home series losses, Gambhir emphasizes his focus on winning trophies over rankings ahead of the second Test in Colombo.
Olympic medallist Leander Paes has applied for 'Sportspersons of Outstanding Merit' status to contest the All India Tennis Association (AITA) presidential election. The move follows new national sports governance rules, with elections expected in November.