
Drone attacks on critical infrastructure in el-Obeid and seasonal flooding in North Darfur exacerbate the humanitarian crisis.
AI-generated summary
The war in Sudan began in 2023 due to a power struggle between the Sudanese army and the RSF. It has resulted in significant casualties and one of the world's largest displacement crises.
More than 200,000 people have been newly displaced across Sudan’s Kordofan region due to intensified fighting since late last year, the United Nations has said, as continued drone attacks target critical water and electricity infrastructure in the region’s biggest city, el-Obeid.
The warning from the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) came on Wednesday as seasonal flooding in nearby North Darfur state also compounded the displacement crisis.
“The warning signs are impossible to ignore,” said IOM Director General Amy Pope. “Across Sudan, families are fleeing violence, losing access to water, electricity and healthcare, and now facing the added burden of destructive floods.”
The war in Sudan – which erupted in 2023 amid a power struggle between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) – has killed at least 59,000 people and forced some 14 million people from their homes.
According to the IOM, displacement in Kordofan’s Sheikan district, which includes the city of el-Obeid, has surged 25 percent over the past eight months.
In el-Obeid, drone attacks by the RSF on the city’s main power transformer have knocked out electricity needed to pump water, run hospitals and keep phone lines working, the organisation said.
In Blue Nile state, some 78,000 people have also fled their homes, the IOM said, while in West Darfur, about 18,000 others were displaced in the first half of August.
Meanwhile in North Darfur, heavy rains in the Tawila area have damaged nearly 1,350 homes, displacing more than 1,000 families, the UN organisation added.
“Sudan is one of the world’s largest displacement crises,” Pope said. “The combined impact of conflict, infrastructure damage and flooding is stretching thousands of families beyond their limits.”
According to the UN, some 8.6 million people have been internally displaced in Sudan since the war began. More than 4.2 million people also have fled to neighbouring countries.
Some 33.7 million people require humanitarian assistance, according to the UN.
Reporting from one of the main roads leading to el-Obeid, Al Jazeera’s Almigdad Alruhaid described a route where drones belonging to the RSF have targeted army vehicles, oil tankers and cargo trucks.
The Sudanese army-held city has endured one of the longest sieges of the war, but the RSF “maintains position south and west of the city and still continues attacking nearby villages”, Alruhaid said, adding that this was further worsening the humanitarian situation in the region.
El-Obeid had a population of 750,000 before the war, but authorities now estimate it has reached 3.4 million, according to the Sudan Tribune.
Save the Children, a humanitarian group, said nearly 39,000 children have arrived in the city in the first six months of this year.

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.