
President cites costs, North Korean relations, and South Korea's refusal to assist with Iran denuclearization efforts.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing high costs, a desire to maintain positive relations with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and South Korea's refusal to help with Iran denuclearization.
AI-generated summary
The U.S. and South Korea hold joint military exercises to maintain readiness against North Korean threats. North Korea views these drills as rehearsals for an aggressive war.
WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea, saying it declined to help denuclearize Iran and citing his good relationship with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.
Trump said in a social media post that the exercises slated to begin this week are not only costly but “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” while Trump has been in the White House.
“Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!” Trump wrote. The president added that he recently asked South Korea’s president to join the U.S. in its efforts to denuclearize Iran, “and they said, ‘No thanks!’”
The 11 days of exercises involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers were designed to beef up readiness against North Korean threats.
North Korea on Friday threatened unspecified stern steps against the U.S. and South Korea, describing their military drills as a “a rehearsal for an aggressive war” that are triggering greater instability in the region.
The warning was typical of the harsh rhetoric that North Korea often deploys ahead of major U.S.-South Korean military exercises. Experts say North Korea has often used its rivals’ drills as a pretext to ramp up testing activities to expand its weapons arsenals and promote public support for the reclusive North Korean leader.
U.S. and South Korean forces were expected to practice joint operations in complex scenarios, including a live-fire exercise to test joint precision targeting and maneuver, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of prepositioned military equipment, according to the U.S. military.
The U.S. military has said the summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises reinforce "the role of the alliance as the linchpin for regional peace and security” and reaffirm "the ironclad commitment between the United States and the Republic of Korea to defend their homelands.”
The joint training comes days after North Korea resumed ballistic missile testing activities that are banned by the U.N. Earlier this month, South Korea, the U.S. and Japan detected the launch of a short-range ballistic missile from North Korea in what was the North’s first ballistic weapons testing activity since late June. The missile landed in the waters off North Korea’s east coast. North Korea has been pushing hard to enlarge its nuclear and missile arsenals since Kim’s high-stakes diplomacy with Trump collapsed in 2019. Experts say Kim likely believes a bigger weapons arsenal would increase his chances for wresting more concessions from the U.S. in future negotiations.
Trump met with the North Korean leader three times during his first term to discuss the country’s nuclear program, most recently in 2019. Since returning to office, Trump has expressed interest in continuing those discussions.
Trump's announcement came a day after he posted a photo of himself standing next to North Korea's Kim, writing that the two leaders get along great “despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture.”
This is not the first time that Trump has sought to end the exercises. During his first term he also issued a surprise announcement that called the wargames “provocative.”
“We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money, unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should,” Trump told reporters after his 2018 meeting with Kim in Singapore.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Pentagon will implement a reduction in scope for the ongoing military exercises.
Very likely · Within days

California voters will decide on Proposition 40 in November, a measure proposing a 5% one-time wealth tax on the state's 250 billionaires to fund healthcare. The proposal has triggered a fierce campaign, with tech moguls funding opposition efforts.

Rep. Joyce Beatty has filed an emergency motion to block the Kennedy Center board from placing Donald Trump's name on the building's facade and renaming the grounds 'President Donald J. Trump Plaza,' citing a previous court ruling that only Congress can change the name.

Australia has enacted legislation requiring tech giants like Google and Meta to pay for distributing local news content. Companies must strike commercial deals with media outlets or face a 2.5% levy on Australian digital advertising revenue.

Enrollment in the U.S. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) fell by over 13% in one year, reaching 36.6 million. The decline follows new federal work requirements and administrative challenges in states like Arizona, impacting low-income households.

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that President Trump can proceed with constructing a new ballroom on the former East Wing site of the White House without congressional approval, staying a lower court's pause on the $300 million project.

Former JPMorgan Chase executive Matt Zames will join the Trump administration as an unpaid advisor to the Social Security Administration, aiming to help modernize the agency's aging technology systems.