Breaking
TRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueRULavrov: The West is inciting Zelensky against Russia, sanctioning methods of causing harm to citizensTRUS Ambassador Barrack: 'Israelis Provoked the Turks'CRYPTO-ENBitcoin Nears $80,000 as Weekend Tests Native Market StrengthDEDebt expert Rogoff: Higher rates for US investors – How alarming is that?INTLNASA Abandons Rescue Mission for Aging Swift Space ObservatoryITINPS launches new welfare model: 'Autonomy and Prevention'AUMundi Mundi Bash Festival Opens Gates Free After Rain ChaosJPThe ritual of switching from "work time" to "me time" for top executivesTRGerman Super Cup: Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich Match AnalysisTRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueRULavrov: The West is inciting Zelensky against Russia, sanctioning methods of causing harm to citizensTRUS Ambassador Barrack: 'Israelis Provoked the Turks'CRYPTO-ENBitcoin Nears $80,000 as Weekend Tests Native Market StrengthDEDebt expert Rogoff: Higher rates for US investors – How alarming is that?INTLNASA Abandons Rescue Mission for Aging Swift Space ObservatoryITINPS launches new welfare model: 'Autonomy and Prevention'AUMundi Mundi Bash Festival Opens Gates Free After Rain ChaosJPThe ritual of switching from "work time" to "me time" for top executivesTRGerman Super Cup: Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich Match Analysis
NewsgatherNewsgather
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience
Sign In
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScienceHealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace
NewsgatherNewsgather

Real-time global news intelligence. Curated by humans, powered by data.

Sections

All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience

More

HealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace

Company

AboutEditorial StandardsAdvertisingCareersPressContact

©️ 2026 Newsgather. A product by All Software 24. All rights reserved.

Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyImprintTerms of UseContent and Editorial PolicyRemoval RequestAdvertising PolicyContact
Back|Qatar Denies Holding Iranian Pilots Following Accusations
Qatar Denies Holding Iranian Pilots Following Accusations
Developing
Al Jazeera·4 days ago·Politics·2 min read

Qatar Denies Holding Iranian Pilots Following Accusations

Foreign Ministry spokesman calls Iranian claims of detained pilots 'completely baseless' amid ongoing regional tensions.

Quick Look

  • Qatar's Foreign Ministry has rejected Iranian allegations that it is holding three military pilots captured after their planes crashed in March.
  • Qatar maintains the pilots' remains were previously returned and dismissed the claims as a media ploy.

AI-generated summary

Why It Matters

The dispute follows an Iranian attack on the Al Udeid airbase in March, where Qatar shot down two Iranian bombers. A subsequent ceasefire and Memorandum of Understanding have since collapsed.

Font size

Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman has categorically denied Iran’s accusation of holding prisoner three military pilots whose planes crashed in the early days of the war, calling the claims “completely baseless, false and illogical”.

During a news conference on Tuesday, Majed al-Ansari reiterated that Qatar handed over the remains of one of the pilots after they were found last April to an Iranian delegation.

The comments come after Iranian officials publicly claimed that the pilots were secretly detained after being captured, demanding that Qatar release them.

In a letter to the International Committee of the Red Cross, Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh said three pilots – Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian and Omran Behraveshian – survived after their warplanes crashed in March and were captured alive, according to Iran’s Fars news agency.

Bagherzadeh said the men have been held for six months, cut off from communication, and called for international humanitarian intervention.

During his weekly press briefing, al-Ansari said the planes were targeted because they “violated Qatar’s sovereignty and the city of Doha, and that they were dealt with according to the law”.

He expressed surprise at the claims raised by Tehran, stressing that Doha had invited the Iranian side to send a technical team to review the search operations, but it did not respond. He said the Iranian request for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) involvement in the case was a “media ploy”.

Al-Ansari also said Qatar would not hesitate to “defend its people, its territory and its sovereignty if it is attacked”, while emphasising the priority of diplomatic action and dialogue.

The military engagement came during an Iranian attack on the Al Udeid airbase in Qatar, which hosts US Central Command (CENTCOM) personnel. In early March, Qatar’s Ministry of Defence reported shooting down two Sukhoi Su-24 bombers, marking the first time a Gulf country downed Iranian aircraft during the US-Israel war on Iran.

The interception came amid the broader wave of Iranian retaliatory strikes across the Gulf following the outbreak of hostilities on February 28. An April ceasefire temporarily halted major combat, with a June Memorandum of Understanding extending the truce and setting the stage for more talks on ending the war with a negotiated settlement. But the MoU collapsed as Iran targeted ships transiting in the Strait of Hormuz, with both sides blaming the other for violating the agreement.

Open Questions

  • ?Will the Red Cross investigate the claims?
  • ?What is the current status of the wreckage?

Related Topics

People
Organizations
Places
Topics
This article was originally published by Al Jazeera.

Quick Look

  • Qatar's Foreign Ministry has rejected Iranian allegations that it is holding three military pilots captured after their planes crashed in March.
  • Qatar maintains the pilots' remains were previously returned and dismissed the claims as a media ploy.

AI-generated summary

Story signals

News tone
Negative
Emotional intensity
High
News value
High
Urgency
Developing
Follow-up likelihood
Likely
Relevance window
Days

Source & Reliability

Source
Al Jazeera
Story type
Hard news
Source quality
Full
Published
4 days ago
Last updated
4 days ago

Related Stories

More on this topic
Trump faces echoes of Carter’s 1980 defeat amid Iran conflict
Developing·6 hours ago

Trump faces echoes of Carter’s 1980 defeat amid Iran conflict

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Guardian International
7 min read
Imran Khan's party files contempt petition against Pakistani government over hospital transfer
Developing·6 hours ago

Imran Khan's party files contempt petition against Pakistani government over hospital transfer

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.

Al Jazeera
2 min read
Iran-US War: Trump Threatens New Sanctions as Tehran Claims Victory
BREAKING·7 hours ago

Iran-US War: Trump Threatens New Sanctions as Tehran Claims Victory

US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.

The Independent World
5 min read
Australian Capital Territory joins national gun buyback scheme
Politics·7 hours ago

Australian Capital Territory joins national gun buyback scheme

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

The Independent World
2 min read
Over 100 former French and British diplomats call for sanctions on Israel
Developing·7 hours ago

Over 100 former French and British diplomats call for sanctions on Israel

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Guardian International
5 min read
Iranian President Pezeshkian Calls for End to Conflict with US Amid Stalled Talks
Developing·8 hours ago

Iranian President Pezeshkian Calls for End to Conflict with US Amid Stalled Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.

Al Jazeera
3 min read
More on this topic
qatar
iran
military
qatar
Majed al-Ansari
Mohammad Bagherzadeh
Javad Salehi
Abdolmajid Dashtian
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
International Committee of the Red Cross
Fars news agency
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
Doha
Al Udeid airbase
Strait of Hormuz
iran
military
pilots
al-ansari
al udeid airbase
diplomacy
qatar
qatar