
An emergency request aims to prevent the Kennedy Center from inscribing President Donald Trump's name on the building's facade.
Rep. Joyce Beatty filed an emergency request in federal court to block the Kennedy Center from returning President Donald Trump's name to the building following a vote by the board.
AI-generated summary
Congress named the performing arts center as a living memorial to Kennedy in 1964. A federal judge previously ruled that adding Trump's name was illegal.
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Joyce Beatty made an emergency request on Thursday that a federal court block the Kennedy Center from returning President Donald Trump’s name to the building.
The Trump-aligned board at the Kennedy Center voted earlier this month to inscribe the president's name on the venue’s facade so it would read “The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated By President Donald J. Trump.” If the Trump Kennedy Center Fund reached $100 million, another inscription would be added reading “Endowed by the Trump Kennedy Center Fund.”
The plaza in front of the Kennedy Center would also be renamed to recognize Trump.
The Kennedy Center has said it wouldn’t attempt to engrave Trump’s name on the building before Sept. 8 to allow for legal arguments to unfold.
Beatty, an Ohio Democrat and ex officio member of the Kennedy Center, has led the effort to prevent Trump from memorializing himself there. In asking for the court’s intervention, her lawyers, Norm Eisen and Nathaniel Zelinsky, wrote that the board's actions amounted to “clear violations” of an earlier court order.
A representative for the Kennedy Center didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The resolution approved by Trump’s allies on the board said the Kennedy Center “would be in financial ruin without President Trump’s unique stature as both an unparalleled fundraiser and world-class developer.”
Congress named the performing arts center as a living memorial to Kennedy in 1964, the year after he was assassinated. The law explicitly prohibits the board of trustees from making the center into a memorial to anyone else, and from putting another person’s name on the building’s exterior.
U.S. District Court Judge Christopher Cooper ruled in May that the Kennedy Center illegally added Trump’s name to the building, ordering it removed. The institution’s leaders complied in June but left a tarp and scaffolding in place where Trump’s name once stood.
Lawyers for the Kennedy Center wouldn’t commit this week to taking down the scaffolding, saying it’s needed as part of a broader system for “water testing and structural repairs to the roof overhang.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Legal arguments will unfold regarding the Kennedy Center name inscription before Sept. 8.
Very likely · Within weeks

California voters will decide on Proposition 40 in November, a measure proposing a 5% one-time wealth tax on the state's 250 billionaires to fund healthcare. The proposal has triggered a fierce campaign, with tech moguls funding opposition efforts.

Rep. Joyce Beatty has filed an emergency motion to block the Kennedy Center board from placing Donald Trump's name on the building's facade and renaming the grounds 'President Donald J. Trump Plaza,' citing a previous court ruling that only Congress can change the name.

Australia has enacted legislation requiring tech giants like Google and Meta to pay for distributing local news content. Companies must strike commercial deals with media outlets or face a 2.5% levy on Australian digital advertising revenue.

Enrollment in the U.S. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) fell by over 13% in one year, reaching 36.6 million. The decline follows new federal work requirements and administrative challenges in states like Arizona, impacting low-income households.

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that President Trump can proceed with constructing a new ballroom on the former East Wing site of the White House without congressional approval, staying a lower court's pause on the $300 million project.

Former JPMorgan Chase executive Matt Zames will join the Trump administration as an unpaid advisor to the Social Security Administration, aiming to help modernize the agency's aging technology systems.