
President Nicușor Dan blames Russia for endangering critical infrastructure near the Neptun Deep gas platform.
AI-generated summary
Neptun Deep is Romania's largest natural gas development in the Black Sea, expected to begin extraction in 2027.
A Romanian F-16 fighter jet blew up a sea drone near the Neptun Deep gas platform in the Black Sea this morning, with the country’s president blaming the incident on Russia.
Romania’s Ministry of National Defense initially said the uncrewed vessel was carrying explosives, but later clarified it was a maritime drone.
President Nicușor Dan condemned Russia in a statement accusing Moscow of endangering “critical infrastructure” and people “working at the platform.”
“I strongly condemn the intensification of these types of irresponsible incidents on the part of the Russian Federation,” he wrote in a post on X.
European Commission President Von der Leyen also weighed in on the incident, lending European solidarity to Romania. “An escalating campaign of threats is underway, unsettling our citizens and seeking to divide our Union,” she wrote on X.
“With the European Drone Defence Initiative and the Eastern Flank Watch, we are scaling up production in Europe ... So we can respond to emerging threats with speed, unity and resolve.”
According to a Facebook post by Romanian Defense Minister Radu Miruță, the drone was spotted by Romania’s Coast Guard a few hundred meters from the Neptun Deep platform, where several hundred people were working. After consulting the president, Romanian authorities scrambled two F-16 fighter jets and ordered the drone be destroyed.
Miruță said the drone had not come from its neighbor: “Through the direct communication channel recently created with the Ukrainian side, I received the official confirmation that it is not of Ukrainian origin.”
Neptun Deep is Romania’s largest natural gas development and is located in the Black Sea. Romania began developing the project in 2023, with the first gas to be extracted in 2027; it is expected to help Romania become the EU’s largest producer of natural gas.
NATO allies have previously raised concerns about protecting Neptun Deep from Russian drone attacks. Von der Leyen called the incident “hybrid warfare.”
The Russian embassy in Romania did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Romania and NATO allies will review security measures around Black Sea energy infrastructure.
Likely · Within weeks

Germany's defense ministry plans a nearly €12 billion buildup of long-range weapons to deter Russia, according to internal documents seen by POLITICO. The four-part strategy includes fast-tracked low-cost cruise missiles, U.S. Tomahawks, and joint UK-German systems.

The US military announced the arrival of the USS George Washington strike group in the Middle East amid growing scrutiny over deteriorating living conditions and mental health issues aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Germany's defense ministry is using QR codes on kebab wrappers nationwide to recruit citizens for the Bundeswehr's medical service, targeting career changers and young people as Berlin works to expand its armed forces to 260,000 troops by 2035.

The UAE Ministry of Defence reported that Iran launched two ballistic missiles toward its territory on Tuesday. Neither missile hit land, with one falling outside territorial waters and the second within them. Authorities issued a brief safety alert to residents.

US President Donald Trump has ordered the removal of the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) from the Navy's newest aircraft carriers, opting for a return to older steam catapults, citing preference despite EMALS' efficiency and lower operational requirements.

The US military rejected reports of a mental health crisis and supply shortages on the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has spent over 260 days deployed in the Middle East. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth called the reports misrepresented.