South Korea received no advance notice of Trump's plan to cut joint military drills
Foreign Minister Cho Hyun says Seoul was caught by surprise by the U.S. president's public announcement on Truth Social
Quick Look
- South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun confirmed that Seoul received no prior warning of Donald Trump's decision to reduce joint military exercises.
- Trump linked the move to South Korea's refusal to support U.S. efforts regarding Iran's nuclear capabilities.
AI-generated summary
Why It Matters
The U.S.-South Korean military alliance has been anchored by joint drills for over 70 years. The Korean War ended in 1953 with an armistice but no formal peace treaty.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said Wednesday that Seoul received no warning of Donald Trump’s plan to slash joint military exercises, a move the U.S. president announced publicly and linked to South Korea’s refusal to help with his war in Iran.
“Neither our government nor U.S. officials knew what President Trump wrote on his Truth Social,” Cho told the National Assembly’s foreign affairs committee. “We were not notified in advance.”
Trump ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Sunday to “substantially reduce” the annual exercises, calling them costly and “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward North Korea. He tied the move to Seoul’s refusal to assist his effort to strip Iran of its nuclear capabilities and highlighted his “very good relationship” with Pyongyang's ruler Kim Jong Un.
Cho said Trump’s announcement caught Seoul by surprise, but added the eventual changes to the drills were being worked out jointly. Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back was in “close consultations” with Washington, he said. “Since our defense minister was involved in the discussions, I do not think it amounts to a unilateral notification.”
He also warned that the smaller drills should not delay the transfer of wartime operational control, or OPCON, to Seoul — a longtime plan that would put a South Korean general in command of the combined U.S.-South Korean forces during a conflict.
The drills have anchored the U.S.-South Korean alliance for more than 70 years, born from the aftermath of the Korean War, which ended in 1953 with an armistice agreement but no peace treaty. North Korea, which routinely condemns the drills as rehearsals for an invasion, launched another round of ballistic missile tests last week after this year’s exercises were announced.
The rollback is already taking effect. South Korea said Wednesday that this year’s exercise will end on Aug. 21 rather than Aug. 27 after a U.S. request, cutting six days from the schedule.
What to Watch
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The joint military exercise will conclude on August 21.
Very likely · Within days
Open Questions
- How will the reduction in drills impact the OPCON transfer timeline?
- Will South Korea adjust its stance on Iran to restore alliance stability?







