
Alleged killer takes own life after shooting at a school in Zamboanga, in the second school shooting in the country in two months.
A student was shot dead and two others injured at a high school in Zamboanga, southern Philippines, before the gunman took his own life, marking the second school shooting in the country in two months.
AI-generated summary
This follows a previous school shooting in Tacloban City in June and comes amid broader regional concerns over youth violence.
A student was shot dead at a high school in the southern Philippines before the alleged killer took his own life, the local mayor said, in the second school shooting in the South-east Asian nation in two months.
The shooting took place at a school attached to Ateneo de Zamboanga University in the southern city of Zamboanga, a Catholic private institution in western Mindanao.
Zamboanga city’s mayor, Khymer Adan Olaso, told radio station DZMM the shooter “managed to enter carrying a high-powered firearm and a .45 caliber pistol”.
“In the video, we see that he first shot at the teacher who was sitting at a table,” Olaso said, referencing a video being circulated by local media.
“It seems he missed, then moved to another room ... he shot another student there, the one who fell. It seems two others were also injured, probably before he killed himself.”
A video, circulated by local media, was seemingly live-streamed on Facebook.
The school separately confirmed there had been two fatalities.
The university president, Ernald Andal, confirmed there was no longer an active shooting and no additional fatalities or reported injuries.
Andal said the university was coordinating with authorities and would provide more details as information became available. “We do not want any of these things to happen. We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students,” he said.
In a statement posted online, the Philippine president, Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr, said: “We grieve with the families and the entire [school] community over a tragedy that should never have happened.
“I have directed our law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into this incident and to determine what more must be done to prevent another family, another school and another community from suffering the same grief.”
Tuesday’s shooting comes after an attack at a public high school in Tacloban City in June that saw three students killed and about 20 injured after two students opened fire on campus.
In response, the government banned an online game, Gorebox, after it was discovered at least one of the alleged shooters regularly played it, and reopened a Senate inquiry on child safety in digital spaces.
But the department of education told a separate Senate committee last month that more support was needed to prevent a “copycat phenomenon”, as more incidents of violence followed the shooting, including bomb threats, stabbing and the recovery of firearms and ammunition, local media reported.
South-east Asia is grappling with violence among high school students, with a 14-year-old boy in Thailand allegedly shooting his grandparents and then killing more people at his school earlier this month before turning the gun on himself. Nine people died, including the shooter, teachers and a 12-year-old girl, and more than 30 were wounded.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Law enforcement agencies will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.
Very likely · Within weeks

The trial of Lindsay Clancy, accused of killing her three children in 2023, nears its conclusion. Jurors must determine if she is guilty of murder or not criminally responsible due to postpartum psychosis, a central point of contention between defense and prosecution experts.
A 15-year-old boy has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after a stabbing in Terrigal, NSW. The victim, also 15, remains in critical condition at Gosford Hospital following the incident on Painters Lane.

The Metropolitan Police investigation into whether Lord Peter Mandelson shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein is stalling as US authorities have not yet provided access to critical unredacted files, despite formal requests for mutual legal assistance.

Five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash in County Kildare, Ireland, while allegedly filming reckless driving for social media. The incident has triggered national debate over police pursuit policies, youth social services, and the role of platforms like TikTok.

Karmelo Anthony, 19, is seeking a retrial for the 35-year sentence he received for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet. Defense attorneys argue Anthony was discouraged from testifying due to fears over damaging evidence.

An 18-year-old suspect is in custody after a sword attack at Brinellskola in Fagersta, Sweden, left one person dead and multiple others wounded. The school had recently reopened for the academic year.