
Victoria Police investigate sexual assault report at an East Melbourne hotel following Sydney Swans' win.
AI-generated summary
Sydney Swans players were referred to police following an incident in Melbourne after their win at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Several players from a top team in the Australian Football League (AFL) have been referred to police over an "alleged incident" in Melbourne on Sunday night, their club has said.
Separately, Victoria Police have said detectives are investigating a report of a sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne.
The Sydney Swans confirmed an incident involving an unspecified number of players had occurred in the hours after the team's win at Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was "still piecing together exactly what's transpired", and would not be drawn on what the specific allegations are.
"Safe to say, we're extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place, and that the players have found themselves in this situation," he said at a press conference on Monday.
"There's going to be lots of speculation, but given it's a police matter right now, that is all we can say."
Pavlich declined to say whether any arrests had been made, nor provide any details about how many players were involved.
A police spokesperson said the incident they were investigating occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of Sunday morning.
"The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing," they said.
In a statement, the football league said that Sydney "made the AFL aware of the matter which is currently under Victoria Police investigation".
Sydney is currently placed second on the 2026 ladder after winning 17 out of 22 games played this year.
The club is scheduled to face off against North Melbourne on Sunday for the last round before the finals, through which the top six teams are guaranteed to advance.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Sydney Swans to face North Melbourne on Sunday
Very likely · Within days

Lando Norris secures pole position for the Dutch Grand Prix but anticipates a tough race due to McLaren's struggles in high-speed corners during races, while George Russell aims to reignite his title challenge with a strong performance.

Sydney Marathon organizers face criticism for a participation medal design seemingly featuring Munich's Allianz Arena instead of Sydney's Allianz Stadium, despite the course passing the latter.

A visit to Old Trafford for a Manchester Super Giants match raises questions about manufactured identity, cricket's commercial evolution, and the disconnect between traditional and franchise cricket.

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.